Saturday, June 28, 2003

Might have my first writing gig, fingers crossed. It's a UK/Ireland/France co-production, big action adventure animation thingy, they want someone to do a quick pass through the script, touch it up, so to speak. They biked the script, brochure and trailer over to me at work, I felt all important and writery. The trailer is gorgeous, like moving paintings, shockingly good. The script is great fun, but just needs the dialogue polishing (some of it feels like it's been mistranslated), and the ending made bigger, more exciting. Other than that, it's pretty much there - everyone learns a lesson, grows as a person, blah blah blah.

So anyway, there were 4 of them, it felt like a job interview. They asked me what I thought of the stuff - thank God I'd read the script the night before - so I talked a bit, suggested possible ideas for the ending, etc. They nodded a lot, smiled a lot. One asked what I had done before, which was a bit embarrassing, because I'm new to the game, but I just told them the sort of thing I'd written, and they seemed okay, I think. It was all over in 15 minutes, which was unusual, so I thought I'd fucked it up. Two rays of hope - one, they said they were in a hurry, and would I be able to start straight away; two, they said that it would involve going to Paris (!) for a day initially, then more trips up till September to work with "the creative team", and would that be a problem? Not at all, I smarmed.

I think I did okay, it was all very quick, but I was honest, I was myself. They agreed with me on the dialogue, and said that most people agreed the ending needed work. I still think I ballsed it up though, but then I always do. They'll be in touch with my agent (hark at Mr Fancy) to let me know the score. My fingers are crossed so hard, they're going bendy...

The coolest thing was where we had the meeting - the Radisson Edwardian Mountbatten Hotel in Covent Garden (or rather, "ten minutes of wandering aimlessly around weird higgledy-piggledy streets away from Covent Garden"). It was gorgeous, and the lifts actually had those old dials with the moving pointer, which I thought was the coolest thing ever:

No comments: