Tuesday, September 30, 2003

The rewrite that never was

That last week's rewrite of the Craw Lodge? Waste of time. Totally cocked everything up that was good, and added shite stuff, according to my agent, although he said it more politely than that. It's a shame, because I just don't know if I'm making it better or not anymore, I have to wait and see what his reaction is. So, we talked about it, and agreed that it's better if I just go back to the previous draft and do a new draft from that. So, if I include the abandoned draft, the next one will be number 13. Unlucky for some? Who knows? I know that the previous 12 fuckers have been anything but lucky...

2 comments:

Dim said...

James..No, wait, Mr Moran...(We haven't been introduced, it seems so rude to call you by your first name. Bugger.)
I was reading this post because I loved the 5th anniversary post but it got me thinking about when you had to abandon an entire draft of Severance. I'm at the early stage of screenplay writing, and when my last effort was torn to shreds and likened to dog faeces, I had a hard time going for the rewrite. I went through the whole whiny writer thing of "But that won't be the story that inspired me in the first pace, can't you just love it for what it is?". How do you get past that? Is it drugs? Alcohol? Or just sheer bloodymindedness? I know the thing doesn't work as it stands, but since it was pretty much my first go, should I just shelve it and start the next one, hoping I learn from my mistakes, or try to fix it, knowing I may be trying to, as my Army friend put it, "polish a turd"?

James Moran said...

Mr Dim: Good question, which I will answer in a separate post.