Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Knocked back

Craw Lodge is nearly there, ever so nearly. The new ending is cool, much more tense and scary. I think. I've lost most of my ability to tell if this one is any better or worse in each successive draft, but it just feels like it's working well now.

The TV thing didn't work out, embarrassingly enough, but hey, it's a funnier story that way. No, I'm lying, it's a boring story either way. They asked for a sample scene, sent me sample scripts, and shitloads of other stuff. I mean, it's not as if it's a particularly sophisticated, ground breaking show, or anything. Anyway, I sent off my sample stuff, waited until they had their big meeting, and learned that they'd "passed on it". Which I'm kind of glad about, because it's shit, but I really could have done with the money. I think there's a lesson to be learned there, but I can't be arsed figuring out what it is.

Update from 5 years later, 2008! Never, EVER do this. To the me-of-five-years-ago: tough shit, you didn't get the job, your sample stuff wasn't good enough. And yet immediately, you're blaming the show, their show is shit, not ground breaking, blah blah blah. You didn't get through. End of story. Probably because your lack of enthusiasm for the show came across in your writing. Take it seriously, or don't do it at all. It's nobody's fault but your own, so stop whining, take responsibility for your actions, and get on with the next thing. THERE'S your lesson to be learned, me-of-five-years-ago. And now, I return to the future, to continue my life.

No comments: