Friday, January 23, 2004

The Columbo Effect

...just one more quick polish, rasped Peter Falk, one eye staring at me, the other staring off into space. Spent yesterday and today having several phonecalls with My Agent (now I'm starting to like the sound of that, it's not at all wanky to say it, it's actually very manly and clever), just fine tuning and polishing little bits and pieces. There are still a couple of typos cropping up, and a few lines of exposition that really sound like it ("Golly gee, so that means that the murderer was the butler the whole time, using us to fulfill his sick fantasy of having toys that come to life? Wow!"), and other such shite. So we fixed as much as possible yesterday, trying not to disrupt the page order, because they'd already printed 10 copies...

...but the page order was different on their copy of Word than mine, so we just said fuck it let's print it again when we're finished. This script is killing more trees than a logging company. Why the hell does a document have a different page count on two different machines? The font is the same, the margins, paper size, everything - so why is that? It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, we did that yesterday, then he phoned back today and we made some more changes, which I've just finished and sent off. If I haven't made any horrible mistakes, then it'll get sent out on Monday. I don't think I can bear to open it up again and change anything else - I really like it now, it's a good, solid script, but I don't ever want to see it again. For at least a month.

No comments: