Thursday, February 05, 2004

Waiting is for losers

I've decided to follow the excellent advice of Terry Rossio, of the excellent Wordplayer site (and, with his writing partner Ted Elliot, the writer of Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin, and many more superb movies) - never wait. I just realised that I've been sitting around waiting for the offers to come in, when I could be spending the time in a much more productive way - writing my arse off.

So I'm working on Harvest (working title, will change at least 7 times) again, the big sci-fi action thing. I've got another 5 or 6 weeks before I need to show a spanking new draft to Pat, so I'm going to refine the characters, round them out, and work on the changes that I need to make. But I won't start the new draft yet - it's all in the planning. Planning is good. Planning is right. Planning works. One of the characters has had a major change, which has opened up all sorts of cool things. As a result, he's now the most interesting character. Hopefully, I can do the same to all the others. The more texture I can add, the better. I'm also working on the new outline, just to get all the story changes straight in my head. When that is done, I'll show it to the trusted experts, and maybe brainstorm some more cool ideas. I hate that word, brainstorm. Makes me sound like some sort of wanker who does seminars and group sessions and marketing strategies. Still, I used the word, nobody had a gun to my head. I blame global warming.

No comments: