Wednesday, May 12, 2004

The Big News

Okay. I've known about this since late February, and it's been KILLING me keeping it quiet. I didn't want to say anything until the contract was actually signed, because when I tell people about possible stuff, it always jinxes it. Well, 50% of the time. Okay, I'm just paranoid. Anyway. The Big News is:

P45, the script formerly known as The Craw Lodge, has been sold.

Yes, actually sold. To a proper film development company. To be made into a real, live, proper movie.

The contract was being finalised over the past month or so (these things always take time, apparently this was quite quick), but last Wednesday I signed three copies of the final version. They snapped it up in Feb, and I've met them twice now to talk about it. The second meeting was a detailed discussion for the first rewrite - they gave me pages of excellent notes, which will make the script even better. I was worried they'd want to change everything, but they just want to make the scary bits scarier, and flesh other stuff out some more. Bit like a paintjob, putting stuff on top, giving it more layers, sorting out inconsistencies and tweaking stuff to increase tension. I have started the rewrite, and it's going really, really well. As soon as I saw the notes, I was dying to get started on it, and I never ever thought I'd feel that way about it...

So, what happens is, I do this new rewrite, then give it to them. They have a look at it, and give me some more notes for revisions (not enough changes to be a new draft, but enough to tweak and polish and edit). I then go off and do the revisions, and hand the final thing over. Then we take things from there. I'll keep this updated if and when anything else happens, and when I start and finish things. And I've probably left stuff out of this, so I might fill in other stuff as it occurs to me.

In the meantime, lots of meetings still to happen. Met a really nice person from a friendly film company last week, meeting two more this week, (tomorrow and Friday), then one more next week. And then I think that's it, I will have officially met everyone remotely involved in film in this country, and their mums.

Although I sound fairly calm, because I've had a while to get used to the idea, I am really, really, REALLY fucking excited. This is a dream come true for me, and I'm grateful every day for this. Obviously I can't quit the dayjob just yet, but it's one big step closer to being able to do this full time.


Cindy said...


That's great news! I'm so happy for you.

I kinda got stuff going on as well - but I'm more in the "this has always been my dream, let's tackle it and try make it come true" phase of my project. But your story is giving me hope.

More once I feel more at ease with all the bouncy stuff in my stomach ;)

And once again CONGRATS!!!

*hugs and bounces*

James Moran said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James Moran said...

Thankyou - well, it can be done, whatever it is. There's nothing that can't be done, as Mr McManus once said. Of course, that ended in disaster, but hopefully Keyser Soze won't mess up either of our plans...

Oops, I broke a comment. Never mind, life goes on...

MartyPayne said...

Ha! And there it is i've spent my whole shift reading your blogs right from the start to finally see 'P45' sold. Now to find out when it gets changed to Severance.