Friday, September 03, 2004

The plot thickens

Well well well, things are moving along nicely. Directors are pitching for P45, will hopefully find out soon if anyone is chosen. There is a crucial piece of information about all this that I'm dying to spill, but I'm not allowed to say. Nothing's decided yet, but I know about one of the directors who is up for it (not personally), and I know he wants to do it. I'd love him to do it. I can say no more. I will be shot. 2007 Update: I can say now - it was Chris Smith. Ha, you can't shoot me now, cause everyone knows...

John the producer is still trying to set up the book adaptation. Nothing for me to do at the moment, though we may meet next week to see how things are going.

We'll hear in another week whether our pitch was successful (for the big scifi action thingy). In the meantime, we're going to pitch it to another company, to see what happens. No harm in showing it to more than one, it's not exclusively tied to anyone at the moment. So we're going in next Friday to do that pitch.

Next Wednesday I'm meeting a nice BBC man about the spooky TV series thing. It looks like it might work better as a one or two parter instead of a series, so we're going to talk about that. I've also got another spooky series thing he might be interested in, so I'll throw that at him when we meet.

And finally, one of the outlines I've been working on, an animation comedy adventure thing, is now ready for public viewing. I finished it off today, and my agent sent it off to several animation bigwigs. He likes it very much, and so do I, I think it could be really funny.

So everything seems to be kicking off. My masterplan is slowly moving into position, ready for action. If I can pull it off, then I will have made my lifelong dream come true. I might not know for a few months, but it's everything I've been working towards this whole time - not one particular project, but a combination of things that will let me do something I've always wanted to do. I'm not saying it here, cause if it all goes tits up, I'll be embarrassed. Oh fuck it, live dangerously: if I can sell one or two more things soon, or if they start filming P45 soon, the money should be enough to be able to give up my dayjob and write full time. For about a year. If I sell more stuff in that year, then I can keep writing full time. I'll have more time to write, so it will be more likely that I sell more stuff. If it all goes horribly wrong after that, even if I have to go back to work, I'll still have had a year off. If I don't do it, then I definitely won't have a year off, and I definitely will have to stay at work. So it's worth a try. This is all I've ever wanted, so I have to try for it. I'm terrified, but the figures all add up, thanks to Jo who came up with the plan in the first place - I thought it would take years to get to that stage, but she's more daring and sensible than I am, and pointed out a way of doing it. The other cool thing is, if it worked, then we would both be able to leave our dayjobs (for at least a year, possibly longer), which would rock. I'd be able to write full time, she'd be able to concentrate on her music (piano and singing), and neither of us would have to be bothered with work taking valuable time away. Life's too short not to give it a go. I really, really, really want this to work. Wish me luck... 2007 Update: This didn't happen. Severance didn't start filming until the following year, although we were both able to reduce our work days.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

good luck sweetie!!!