Friday, November 05, 2004

New York, New York

It is nearly midnight on Friday night. Tomorrow, at 9.30am, me and Jo will be sitting on a plane, taking off, on our way to New York for a Proper Holiday. Hotel, spending money, the whole thing. We are quite literally soiling our pants with excitement. I can't wait. I've just more or less finished packing (took about 10 to 15 minutes). We're travelling light - packing as if it's a long weekend in Dublin, so we can buy clothes and toys when we get there.

P45 news: they're gagging to get things moving along. For the revisions (half of a draft), they want me to do it in two stages - the first will be to address their notes, the second will be to attend a read through with Ac-torrrs and then polish the dialogue once we've heard it out loud. Apparently some writers get a bit funny about the read through, but I can't wait. The best way of finding out what dialogue works is to hear it out loud. I try and say it out loud when I'm writing it, but it's difficult in a small flat with thin walls and quiet neighbours, especially when a character is screaming "I'll cut you! I'll fuckin' cut you!" and so on. That's an actual line from the script, I've probably broken the non-disclosure terms of my contract there, but I'm sure they won't mind, it's hardly something anyone could possibly want to steal... Anyway, we get back from NYC on the 13th November (Saturday), and they want to meet up with me the next day - the Sunday. Hopefully I'll be more or less sane and not jetlagged. It's going to be cool.

Sci-fi action thing news: We don't have to pitch it to the bosswoman at Big Studio anymore. They've decided that me and Pat are better at creating the project than pitching it (i.e. we suck at pitching), so the guy we were working with pitched it to the bosswoman himself. She's sold on it, and now the two of them are going to pitch it, next Tuesday, to Co-Owner1 and Co-Owner2 of Big Studio. Which is cool, because they'll do it better than us, and won't be shitting their pants with fear, like we would probably be. It doesn't mean they'll go for it, but we would have had to do all this ourselves - it just means we've skipped a scary stage that we might have cocked up, and skipped straight to the end. They might go for it, or they might just say no and that would be the end of it. It's 50/50 at this stage. Hopefully I'll hear on Tuesday, if my phone works in America, or by email.

And now I have to do the ticket/passport/money/wallet checks 500 times before the morning. Next stop, New York...


Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cindy said...


Hope you are all having a great time in NYC :)