Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Good news and more good news

I have walked, talked, walked, and talked. My feet hurt. My throat is drier than the Gobi desert on a particularly hot, dry, day, in which someone has left a hairdryer running and pointing at the ground. My eyes sting from lack of sleep and concentration. But damn, I feel good. Today went great, the meetings were fantastic, and, let's not beat around the bush here, there is at least one definite offer on the table. More than that I cannot say, but everyone loves this thing, and it's going to get sold. Oh yeah. I like all of the people I've met, and would be happy working with any of them. I'm so thrilled about all this - selling a spec script (one that isn't written to order, just on the off chance) is one thing, but convincing someone to pay you to write a script based on an outline is a whole different thing. That's the difference between me "having my script made into a film" and actually being a screenwriter. Things are about to get very, very different for me, and I can't wait.

Came home, feeling good, only to find even more excitement in my inbox - the current unit list for Severance, which is the regularly updated list of everyone working on the film, with names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc, all in one handy place. They have been busy. There is now a set designer, art department, director of photography, stunt co-ordinator, special makeup effects department, costume designer, catering service, assistant directors (a 1st and a 3rd, but oddly no 2nd), editor, sound designer, a whole Hungarian production crew, a gaffer, and, my favourite job title of all, a best boy. These people are all working on making the film of my script. Whole departments are devoting their time to realising one aspect of it. It's absolutely mind blowing. When I visit the set, I will of course make it my mission to find out what it is exactly the best boy does. In fact, I'm going to find out what all the job titles mean. I know what a lot of them mean, but what's a line producer? What does the 3rd assistant director do that the 1st assistant director can't, and vice versa? I will make it my mission to find out. When I'm not jumping up and down, screaming with excitement, of course. Speaking of which, it's time to do exactly that right now.

No comments: