Tuesday, May 03, 2005

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Saw the Hitchhiker's Guide movie on Monday, and loved it. I don't know anyone who's a bigger Hitchhiker's geek than me, and I sat there with a big dopey grin on my face, because it felt so right. The cast was perfect, the tone was just right, everything was better than I could have hoped for. I could have done without the entire Humma Kavula storyline and the romance subplot, but I was having so much fun, they didn't bother me at all. The whole storyline is a bit all over the place, but then so is the first book. I loved all the classic lines, plus all the in-jokes that I spotted, being a massive nerd. It's an absolute blast, ridiculously entertaining. My only complaint was that it ended. I wanted it to just keep going, all through the 5 books, leaving in all the things cut for time reasons, a 50 hour marathon of Hitchhiker madness. But then, if I think hard enough, I can improve any movie in my head. For example, The Matrix was superb, but would have been even better if Trinity had done some pole dancing in her spare time. And if the lobby scene had gone on for an hour. While she was pole dancing. With her friends Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek. In bullet time. In Jo's version, Keanu is naked (but still in shades), and doing the most *shocking* things with Brent Spiner (in his Data makeup). See? Any movie can be better with saucy antics. More sauce, please, Hollywood. The audience has spoken.

(Before anyone says anything about the title of this post: I know. It's not a mistake. I am extraordinarily geeky, expecially on this subject. Don't even think about it...)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I wonder, will this be the first movie of which I'll buy the director's cut/extended edition ("with your own ideas included for a small fee only")?

*grins and looks forward to seeing the movie in the cinemas*