Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Setups, decisions, and movie length

Apparently the first day of shooting on Severance went extremely well - twice as many setups as they were expecting. Setups are bits of a scene that are shot from one particular angle, or with one particular lens. Every time the lens or angle or distance are changed, then that's a new setup. They take ages to do, as the camera has to be moved, the tracks laid down if necessary, the lights have to be moved, the entire scene has to be lit to match, everyone needs to get in the right positions, and it just takes bloody ages. But they're moving very fast, and are very happy with it. I'm hoping to go out there next week if possible, to watch the fun for a couple of days. Can't wait.

I have made a decision. Over the past week or so, I've been in a certain position, which is pretty good. But it's not ideal. So I made a difficult decision. Short term, it'll be a bit dicey, but long term, I'll be better off. I really can't say what it is yet - it's nothing terribly exciting, just a sort of dilemma, really. Doing what I've decided will feel like I'm giving up something big, but it's not really, it just feels like it. It's a bit nerve wracking, but I think it's the right thing to do. I've discussed it with Bruce the Shark (my new name for my agent, a different one every week, it's all fun and games in media land), and he agrees that it's the right thing to do. So... I'm doing it. Sorry to be so annoyingly vague, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble for shooting my mouth off, so this is the way it has to be.

In other news, I've finally found a Michael Mann film that I like - Collateral. I'm one of the 4 people in the world who hates Heat, Manhunter, and Miami Vice (not a movie, but he made it, so it counts). I got conned into seeing Heat with the promise of an exciting movie, so I was wary of Collateral, with it's wicked cool trailer. But I needn't have worried, it is absolutely fantastic - tense, gripping, unpredictable, and more importantly, short, at just an hour and a half. Remember? Remember the length movies *used* to be? Before they started getting way, way too long? "Mr and Mrs Smith", I'm looking in your direction - don't get me wrong, it's good, solid summer action fun, Brad and Angelina are cool, very nicely done - but shit, did nobody even once think to themselves "hmm, big summer action movie, yet it doesn't seem to get going for an hour"? I'm just saying, you know, they don't all have to be over 2 hours long. As Hitchcock said, "scissors are always the best way"...

1 comment:

Clara said...

Far out!! Your story of fame is really inspiring. Keep writing.

p/s: make that 5 for Miami Vice.