Friday, July 01, 2005

Oh. My. God.

Well. I'm back, as of Monday night. Still trying to come down from the massive buzz. It is, quite simply, fucking amazing.

I arrived in the evening, and went straight to the set, where loads of people were in the middle of filming. I sat at the monitor, and saw two faces I didn't recognise - then when I heard them speaking, realised they were Jill and Gordon from the script. It was such a headfuck, a feeling I experienced a lot over the five days.

I knew it was going to look cool - Chris is a man on a mission, and determined to give it an epic look - but I didn't think it was going to look so fantastic. The footage is incredible, it looks like a slick, glossy film already, without any treatment, effects or sound fiddling. The actors are superb - Tim McInnerny cracked everyone up with a speech that I thought was quite amusing when I wrote it, but that turns into something hilarious when he delivers it. I kept having to stop and say to myself "holy shit, this is actually real, they're filming my script". It was crazy. One morning, when Laura Harris was doing a really intense scene, I got so taken aback by her screams, I actually got all emotional and had to have a sit down - okay, I cried, I actually cried tears of fucking joy, it's my dream come true so fuck off, all right - that's when it really hit me that all of these people were working to make a movie out of something I wrote. It was partly that, and partly because she was so convincing, I thought they were doing terrible things to her behind the hill. Maybe they were. I didn't ask. Danny Dyer is absolutely perfect as Steve, there is nobody alive who could play it as well as he does. He's a top bloke too. They're all great, all perfect for their parts, and all really nice. God, I sound like Tom fucking Hanks giving an Oscar speech. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels! I'm standing here on magic legs! My drama teacher was gay!

The whole crew were incredibly cool, and were all really working their arses off to make the film as good as possible. I was embarrassed at how many people told me how much they liked the script, and kept fobbing them off and making out like I had nothing to do with it. And fair enough, it's a good script, sure - but they are making a great fucking movie. It looks scarily good. And I can't wait to see more of it.

This is how good it was: one of the days was a long dialogue scene with all the actors. Just that one scene. From every conceivable camera angle, different close ups, and so on. Over and over and over again. And I watched every single one. And laughed every single time. I wrote the fucking thing, and I'm standing there, laughing like an idiot at my own jokes, because they're being delivered in such a funny way.

I'll stop going on about it now, I could wank on all day. But I couldn't be happier with the way it's going. If I had a hat, I'd take it off to Chris, Jason, the cast and crew. I may just buy a hat so I can take it off to them. There are a few photos in the posts below - nothing of the cast or actual scenes being shot, partly so I don't tread on anyone's toes, but mainly so I don't give any plot secrets away...


Cindy said...

*big congratulatory hugs*

i'll see you tonight :)

soulmining said...

Congratulations man, it looks like they're doing a grand job... I met Chris at FrightFest last year and he's a top bloke, very funny and really full of enthusiasm.

James Moran said...

Cheers - yeah, they really are doing amazing stuff. Chris is insane, in a good way, and is really throwing himself into it, full throttle. I'm so glad he's doing it, he's brilliant.