Thursday, September 15, 2005

The magic key

On Monday, I went down to the British Library to get a reader's pass. They have a copy of everything published in this country, going back a couple of hundred years, which will help me a lot for research. Most of my stuff up till recently has only needed about 5 minutes' worth of half-arsed "research" on the internet, but for a couple of upcoming ideas, I'm going to need to know my shit. Getting a reader's pass helps with this, and also helps me to feel like a proper writer. The passes are temporary, and range from 3 months to 3 years - they gave me a 3 year one, without me even asking. I just showed them my ID, and a printout of my CV from my agent's website, and it magically unlocked the secret door for me. Rock. I have the magic key.

The short horror film shoots next month, and two out of the three parts have been cast. Proper, well-known actors, too. Everything's moving very quickly, they just need to find a location. Most locations were okay, but when the people in charge saw how graphic the script is, they had second thoughts... So instead of toning it down, we removed one tiny background detail that they all balked at, and now they're fine with it. I'm going to be an extra, along with Jo - we'll be dead bodies. It's so cool.

Other things on the go are a pitch outline for a TV horror thing I'm trying to get involved with, and a pitch proposal outline for an adaptation I'm dying to do. The TV horror thing is an existing project looking for writers with cool ideas, so I'm fine tuning one right now. The adaptation thing is me trying to convince a company that (a) this book is worth adapting, (b) it'd make a great movie, and (c) I'm the best guy for the job.

There is one other piece of interesting news coming soon, but I can't say what it is yet, I'm not allowed...

9 comments:

knifegirl said...

Ah, tell us! Come on.

James Moran said...

I won't talk, see? You can't pin nothin on me, see? Eat lead, copper!

Cindy said...

Dude - you owe me an email with some attachments! ;)

Also - man, I want a reader's pass for the BL. Actually, what I really want is, er, the BL in my backyard ;)

Andrew Aguecheek said...

A Scar Faerie tells me that Severence was mentioned on Film 2005. Clearly you rock.

James Moran said...

No way - tonight's one? Tell me more!

soulmining said...

Oh yes, 'Woss' was doing his 'In The Works' section when up popped Severance, with lots of clips of Chris Smith on set! We got to see Andy Nyman in a hole, Danny Dyer and Laura Harris firing rifles, a couple of people running and suddenly disappearing into the ground, and a lot of women dressed up as sexy nurses... All very exciting!

James Moran said...

Gah! I missed it, what a mug. If it was last night's one, then I can watch the repeat on Saturday. Unless anyone taped it and wants to donate a tape to me so I can see it earlier...?

The sexy nurses, by the way, are totally relevant to the plot, and not at all gratuitous. And they certainly don't snog each other, or anything like that. I'm an artist. I have standards.

Jodie x said...

Standards? I do not think that word means what you think it means...

What about the sexy Hungarian women who just might live if they take all their clothes off?

James Moran said...

Again, completely relevant to the plot, and not at all gratuitous. The fact that they're young and foxy is neither here nor there. And it teaches a very valuable lesson: taking your clothes off can save lives. A lesson all the laydeez should learn, immediately.