Monday, October 17, 2005

Bond, reading, and UK writer blogs

Let me be officially the very last person on Earth to weigh in with an opinion on Daniel Craig as the new Bond: I think he'll be great. I'm really looking forward to the new movie, to a grittier, cooler approach, and think it's going to be very good indeed. Two things I will say though - one, those tightfisted bastards really should have paid Pierce whatever he wanted and done one more with him, seeing as he helped them save the franchise with Goldeneye, and two, Timothy Dalton was a fucking great Bond too, and I will not hear a word said against him.

I've started reading scripts again - I haven't read any recently, just got out of the habit. Reading good ones really helps, it gets you excited, enthusiastic, and makes you desperately want to carry on writing your own. Reading bad ones also helps, because you can analyse where they go wrong, and make sure you avoid the cliches. I've read the Die Hard script about 5 times since I first found it, and will read it again, every year, until the end of time. Best action movie ever made, and probably the best, tightest script I've ever come across. That, and anything by Shane Black, who is my hero. Dying to see his new one, too. And then read it.

When I first started this blog, I thought it would be the only online thing out there that would give an insight into the movie writing process, what it was like to have a film made, and so on. Over the past year, I've discovered shitloads of them, and some of them are on my daily to-read list, like Kung Fu Monkey (John Rogers), John August, Complications Ensue, and now Josh Friedman (hey, you're not in the cool writing blog gang if you haven't mentioned the Friedmeister). Oh well, I thought, at least I'm the only UK screenwriting blog. And I was, until yesterday, when I discovered a shitload of other UK screenwriting blogs that have been around for ages. Which is cool, it just means I'm incredibly unobservant... Maybe I can salvage some shred of web-fu though - I started mine in June 2003, to chronicle my fabulous adventures in Writing Land, so as far as I know, I was the first or at least one of the first UK writers to do it. If I'm not, and loads of other people beat me to it, then they're obviously lying through their teeth, because they are in league with My Enemies. Either way, hello to all the other blogging, jobbing writers out there in UK Land. There are too many to mention here, and I can't be arsed doing linkage, because whenever I do it in Blogger, some weird bug makes me end up with the link in the wrong place, and an image tag in the middle of some other word. Okay, I'll do one, because it's a really interesting one: meet Danny Stack, an Irish, London-based monkey like myself (we're all monkeys, spec monkeys or infinite monkeys depending on your level of recognition - and okay, I'm not actually Irish, but I lived there since I was a kid and have a quarter of my accent remaining, which is legally binding in ANY court of law). There are lots of UK writer blog links on his page, and if you follow some of them, you'll find others, and then even more, and more, and then they will engulf you and eat your brain. Click carefully now, don't get lost on teh Internets, it's a big place. And if any passing UK writer bloggers see this, stop and say hello.

7 comments:

Jodie x said...

Timothy Dalton was a superb Bond, and is just generally very cool. He's one of those actors who Should Be In More Things.

And I have just noticed and felt like sharing that he is the tallest James Bond at 6'2", and Daniel Craig at 5'11" will be the shortest.

James Moran said...

That's weird, for some reason I thought they were all of normal, average height, apart from Lazenby, who looked about 9 feet tall. Bizarre. Dalton was cool, it wasn't his fault the films didn't do well - and the gadgets/stunts were no more ridiculous than the invisible car and the surfing Bond CGI...

Danny Stack said...

Hello!

James Moran said...

Blimey, that was quick! Hello there!

james henry said...

Hello also.

James Moran said...

Greetings, Mr H. I've been expecting you. Not really, but it sounds good. Love those Dawn of the Dead knitted zombies, by the way.

james henry said...

Wait til you see the Zombie Snot Worm. Yum.