Monday, October 10, 2005

Eat me, tax pig!

Trip to Saaarf London is postponed for a week - which is cool, because it meant I could go and see Serenity instead. I'm a fan, so I'll spare you the proselytising, but I loved it, of course. Apart from the usual patented Joss Whedon "hey, let's do something shocking and nasty that changes the continuity to keep them on their toes and make them genuinely worry if everything will turn out okay" trick, that is. Joss. Dude. I'm really, really fucking gullible, and am always thinking things like (a) *this* time, Bond really is in for it, (b) shit, looks like the A-Team are going to get killed this week, and (c) oh my god, the good guy won! What a shocker! In other words, we can get caught up in the movie, and concerned for the characters' wellbeing, without you feeling that you have to fuck with us like this. It's getting annoying. I'm not saying you should make stuff where nothing bad happens and everything is okay in the end, but just... leave things alone sometimes. If you steadily remove things that are the reason we love a show or movie, then we'll no longer love that show or movie. So, to summarise: waahhhh, don't kill off fictional characters in stories you create, waaahhhh, we made you and we can break you, waaahhhh, etc etc. Cheers.

I handed over all my stuff to the accountancy place a few weeks ago. They wanted all my receipts, bank statements, payslips, payments received, invoices for things I bought that could be conceivably written off as business expenses (DVDs, cinema tickets, TV, etc - it's all research, dahhling) - so that they could fill out the terrifying tax return form for me, and work out how much of my blood I'll need to siphon off for the bloodsucking leeches at the Inland Revenue, god bless 'em. They got it all okay, but there's been an ominous silence ever since. I'm sure if they needed to ask me something, or I'd left out any paperwork, they'd have phoned. Maybe they've just run away. Who cares? They touched all the stuff last, so it's not my problem anymore. If the tax fuckers come looking for me, they'll never take me alive.

Got the contract for the short film last week, signed it, and sent it off. I feel like such an important person, getting contracts and signing them, it rocks. Speaking of short films, check this one out - it was done by some Irish guys in 3 months, with a budget of 80,000 Euros:

http://www.jonny3d.com/html/frames/_dn_prey_alone_frame.htm

Download the hi-res version, it's well worth the wait.

4 comments:

Greg Rusedski said...

Wow, just wow.

Err, don't have anything to compare in that respect but just for the hell of it try this http://www.gethappy.com/watchmore.html.

James Moran said...

Blimey, that was really sad. Somehow I feel for plasticene people with no organs more than normal people...

Cindy said...

I'm feelin' stupid now -- I don't get the film. I mean, I get parts of it, but it doesn't gel... Help?

James Moran said...

I'll email you - don't want to give the secret away to people who haven't seen it...