Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Last few things

Okay, the tree is up. We have some fake snow from here, which is amazing. Most of the pressies have been bought. We have well over a case of wine already, and today 6 more bottles of Pino Grigio arrived. Along with a bottle of fizzy booze for Christmas morning (got two more as backup). And a bottle of Jim Beam Black for me (aged 8 years in oak casks, the sweetest, tastiest bourbon I know of). And two bottles of Limoncello, a lethal but gorgeous Italian liqueur (ingredients: alcohol, sugar, lemon, and a punch in the face). Oh, and some vodka, pack of Stella, and a little bit of single barrel Jack Daniels leftover from last year. I think there's some Baileys coming on Friday, for Jo, who is currently sitting next to me, knocking back Nurofen and Limoncello to kill the pain of her braces adjustment. So obviously I'm having a glass too, it'd be rude not to. Plans for Christmas: Eat. Get wrecked on booze. Sleep. Watch telly. Repeat, rinse, hang out to dry.

We've kind of been caught unawares by Christmas this year. Why wasn't I informed that it's on the 25th? I'll be writing a stern letter to my MP. We've just about managed to get most things sorted, but purely by luck and determination. And that's why you're not getting a card this year - because nobody is. Nothing personal, I'm just shit.

I meant to post this earlier - it's a photo of me, taken by my friend Katie, who is a wicked clever pinhole photography expert. I had to sit still for 2 or 3 minutes, trying not to blink too much, so my expression is slightly tense, focused, and, judging by the comments on the pic, totally deranged. Pinhole pics freak me out a bit, they have that whole Victorian death photograph thing going on. Very cool though.

Christmas movies lined up: Muppet Christmas Carol, Patrick Stewart's version of Christmas Carol (the movie, not the one man show), and Elf. Got some others on the short list too. Couldn't get hold of Christmas Evil, maybe next year. The centrepiece of the viewing though will be the Christmas Day Dr Who episode, which I can't wait for. Finally, something decent on the telly during the festive season. Christmas music: A selection of Elvis Christmas songs, which are fucking fantastic (and bizarrely sexy), and a compilation of punk and indie versions of Christmas classics.

Oh yeah, and we watched Flash Gordon the other day. It's as silly, and as fun, as I remembered. More so. We had to wind several bits back over and over, like Tim Dalton shouting "Freeze! Ya bloody bastids!" And during the bit where the flying hairy men invade a rocket ship, I was convinced that Brian Blessed roars "WAHEY!" as he lands - so we wound it back, and yes, he really does. We checked out 5 minutes of his commentary, and already it is the greatest commentary track ever recorded. We learned that he suggested that Max Von Sydow use his hands a lot as Ming, that everything is marvellous, and that Sam J. Jones is heroic from *any* angle. I can't wait to hear the rest of it, it's just brilliant. Brian, if you're listening, you are a legend, and your thighs are truly mighty, as is your beard.

Blimey, this Limoncello is strong. I'd better pack this post in for now, it's starting to go off the rails already...

7 comments:

Danny Stack said...

Have a good one!

The photo is very 'photo of the author'. Nice one. I've forgotten how to put up photos. Must try it again to lighten the blog a bit...

James Moran said...

Oh yeah, didn't think of that. Could use it for press things, pretend I was some Victorian clairvoyant, and that I write through neuromancers or something.

I think Blogger has an automatic thing - but I usually just do mine from Flickr, they let you post any picture to a Blogger account.

soulmining said...

I'm loving your booze selection!! Can I come to yours next year?

That's a cool photo, you should definitely use it if you can.

Anonymous said...

the photo's great mate.

On imdb you seem to be sharing writing credit with Chris Smith... (and I also noticed that he has wangled himself a 'film by' credit - as if there weren't hundreds of people involved in making the film...)

Is this a mistake? How do you feel about this? What steps resulted in this - I'd love to hear a bit of behind the scenes - what really happens to contractural details during the long process here in the uk - kind of thing.

Keep it up!

James Moran said...

Anon: Nope, not a mistake, we're both credited now - I'll do a post soon explaining the whole credit thing in this particular situation, and in general, so people know what to expect. It'll be the next post, after the big post about my writing year, which will be up within days, honest guv...

Anonymous said...

Hi James,

Thanks, I look forward to the post!

Cindy said...

Limoncello - mmmmm!!!