Monday, January 30, 2006

Linkage and video

Okay, couple of quick links before I get on with some work:

Don't wear a seal-shaped hat when going to see the polar bears (video) - self-explanatory, really.

The history of the Wilhelm scream - an in-joke of sound designers, the Wilhelm scream sound effect has been used in Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Batman Returns, Reservoir Dogs, Toy Story, Die Hard: With a Vengeance, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and many, many more. Go here to watch a video compilation showing the scream being used in many movies. Once you know the scream, you can listen out for it in future, if you're a movie nerd like me. Thanks to the FilmSound.org page for the video links.

And finally, here is the video of the New Year celebration at my sister's house this year. The clip shows two rockets - the first goes up perfectly normally, the second one hits a powerline, and lands right in front of us... and then explodes. I'm holding the camera, which is why the screen lurches to the side in panic when the thing blows up. When fireworks go wrong:



Cheers to One Slack Martian for pointing me to YouTube.com, it's really handy. I uploaded a video into Google Video on the 3rd January, and a month later it still hasn't been verified yet. I love all of Google's other stuff, but YouTube beats their video service hands down.

5 comments:

Danny Stack said...

You got to get the Wilhelm into Severance. Surely.

soulmining said...

Cheers for posting those... I've just watched your fireworks clip three times in a row, I love the way you crack up laughing at the end!

James Moran said...

Danny: Arse, I completely forgot about it until now, and they're nearly finished the sound mix. Dammit! Aa-AA-aaaaa! I'll get it into Curfew, if I can.

Phil: It was relieved laughter, relief that we weren't all dead. It was really loud and scary...

oneslackmartian said...

Haha, a low budget Shock and Awe.

james henry said...

Some good swearing there.