Saturday, January 07, 2006

Links and updates

Had lunch with two other writers yesterday, Danny (he of the superb blog) and Matt (who doesn't have a blog). A writer without a blog?? Snakes on a plane! Naturally we urged him to get one immediately, otherwise people might talk. We had a great time, chatting about things we've been through, discussing projects that went well or fell apart, and, obviously, bitching about various people. I had planned on doing a big overhaul of my pathetically small links section over there on the right, but have decided instead to just link to Danny's page, as he has a fearsome collection of links to writing blogs, writing sites, and all kinds of useful information. I'd only be duplicating his one anyway, so it's not laziness at all, honest guv. If any aspiring writers come here, you really should check his site out, it's full of opportunities to break into the business. Mine's really more of a sweary travelogue, with occasional snippets of info about the writing game. I'm going to try and make it more informative though, I've been slacking off in that department.

Saw the first ep of My Name Is Earl last night, starring the always brilliant Jason Lee. I really enjoyed it, it's a great concept, and although it can get a bit self-consciously wacky, it keeps the surprises coming thick and fast, and is really quite sweet. Check it out if you get a chance.

Just sent off the latest changes to Curfew, it's really coming along nicely. There are still one or two issues we haven't fully explored, but it works as it is. I've also typed up some notes for a possible rewrite job - the low budget horror project I mentioned a few posts back. I've worked with them before, and they're good guys. They want me to do it, I want me to do it, but I just want them to know what direction I'll take it in first, so we're all happy. I'll finish the notes today, and send them off. It's a really cool story, and I'm dying to get my teeth into it. So I'll finish this post, and get on with that.

9 comments:

Tim Clague said...

My Name is Earl - seemed so throw away as it was full of 'simpsons' cutaways / flashbacks etc. But in fact it was quite carefully crafted in the writing.

Kastakephoto said...

I don't have a blog either! Who needs a blog with good people like you and Danny saying all that needs to be said?

(I have a kind of photo blog though (flickr). Matt doesn't even have one of those...)

James Moran said...

Yeah, it was quite deceptively clever - halfway through, I thought, is this just going to be lots of crazy, random stuff every week? But then it pulled it all together really well.

Kas: Yep, Danny covers the interesting info side, and I take care of the swearing. Between us, it's moidah! Ever since I saw your Snakes on a Plane Flickr pool, I've been determined to find something that would fit into it, but nothing's cropped up yet...

Danny Stack said...

Dunno about 'Earl' yet. I wasn't impressed with the opening ten mins, top heavy on v/over and gags I'd seen before, then I flicked over and flicked back. I like his brother, he was much fatter in some other film I've seen him in (poss Blow?).

First eps are always a killer to establish and then get the series underway so I'll give it another shot. I think Jason Lee is great (his 'performance' in The Incredibles being one of his best)...

James Moran said...

It did settle down once it got into the main plot, but like you say, now it's all set up it should be a bit less desperate to please. The only other thing I've seen his brother in is Mallrats, as the stoner dude who can't see the boat in the magic eye picture. Apparently it's going down a storm over in the US.

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Wasn't impressed with Earl. My my demographic just doesn't fully appreciate the Arkansas-trailer-trash mentality of the gags. Or, it's just.

soulmining said...

Ethan Suplee - the brother - has turned up in most of Kevin Smith's films. He's the guy who accuses Banky (Jason Lee - again) of being a 'tracer' in Chasing Amy. And he was in American History X. And Road Trip.

soulmining said...

Erm, did someone mention 'Snakes On A Plane' Flickr pool? Where can I find this bounteous mine of gold?

James Moran said...

Here you go:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/25242674@N00/

Early days yet, we need to get some more in there...