Saturday, February 18, 2006

Learning, and meetings

Things I have learned this week:

-- The Tom Baker SMS to landline service is the greatest thing ever. My first text (to my own landline, naturally) was "Hello, this is The Doctor. Have you seen my TARDIS?" I was in absolute hysterics for several minutes. Yes, I'm a massively childish geek.

-- Going to the cinema to watch a double bill of Brokeback Mountain followed by Final Destination 3 actually works quite well. You get a beautiful piece of cinema, superb acting, and great drama, then get cheered up again by a gleefully gory and tasteless piece of fun. The sunbed sequence in FD3 is worth the price of admission alone, particularly the match-cut at the end of it. Superb.

-- If you shoot a man in the face, but you're Dick Cheney, the man you shot will apologise to you ("My family and I are deeply sorry for all that Vice-President Cheney and his family have had to go through this past week"). Clearly, if you're swinging your gun around while hunting, it's up to everyone else to make sure they don't accidentally hit your shotgun pellets with their face.

-- "Hunting" is apparently what happens when a bunch of fat, old, white guys drive to a ranch, and shoot some stubby, mildly retarded, farm-bred quails that are released several inches in front of their noses. I mean seriously, why not just bring out a plank with the quails nailed to it by the feet, and hand out hammers? You'd save money on shotgun shells. That's not hunting. *Kurt Russell* goes hunting - he goes out, stalks an animal, kills it, brings it home, and his family cook and eat it. That's hunting. Big difference. That's because Kurt Russell is a man, whereas Dick Cheney is an animated bag of fat, brought to life by lightning and voodoo.

--The RIAA does not want you to rip your CDs to your iPod. CDs that you purchased legally. They don't think that's "fair use". I suppose suing children wasn't ludicrous enough, eh? What next? Will getting a song "stuck in your head" be declared illegal, too?

Meetings and so on:

Had two meetings this week, one for the low budget horror movie I'll be doing with the director of the short film (short film happening soon, hopefully), and one with a TV bloke. It's only recently that UK telly seems to be going for the sort of bizarre, surreal stuff that I do, whereas before genre seemed to be a bit of a dirty word. Doctor Who and Life On Mars have proved that there's an audience for it, so I'm trying to get some telly stuff going. The TV bloke was cool, very funny, and keen on my stuff, so hopefully the door is open for people like me now. The low budget horror meeting went well too, I had pitched them my take on their existing draft, and what I planned to do with it, which seemed to go down quite well. We're now talking about how to rebuild it from the ground up, using all the cool stuff from the original version. It's going to be very different visually from any other horror movie, and we're not even sure if it will work yet, so we're all learning as we go along. No responses as yet from the comedy TV thing that went out, except for one person that said "I love it!" and then promptly vanished off the face of the Earth. Couldn't have loved it that much, then. Same thing happened back when Curfew was doing the rounds - one guy was very keen, demanded to read my other work *that very day*, we couriered the stuff over, and never heard from him again, not even a "no". Meh, his loss.

Meanwhile, I was hoping to finish the new Curfew outline by Friday (yesterday), which didn't happen. I've had two nights with no sleep in a row this week, along with the beginnings of some weird throat thing, which meant I've just been too trashed to do much in the evenings. I'm about three quarters of the way through, and hope to finish it before Monday. So why am I doing a big blog entry right now? Because I will do anything to avoid work, don't pretend you're not the same. Okay, I'm getting off the internet for the rest of the weekend. Probably.

11 comments:

soulmining said...

What am I doing here? I should be in my room writing reviews... damn you!

James Moran said...

Get out! Get out of my webpage! Go to your room!

Lucy said...

What my son and I have learned this week: the BT SMS service says fuck, bollocks and shit.

I love half term.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the latest issue of Empire? "Severance" got name checked right at the end of the "new horror" article.

Ruth

James Moran said...

No way! In Empire? I'm halfway through my copy at the moment, can't find any articles about horror though. What page, what page??

James Moran said...

Ah, it's in Total Film - just had a cheeky flick through a copy in WHSmiths. It's in the last paragraph, and is pretty much "other upcoming films are X and Severance". Still cool to see it mentioned though...

Jools said...

When's this hoorin' fillum coming out?

James Moran said...

Dunno yet - it's with Pathe now, so it's up to them to pick a slot for it...

Anonymous said...

Sorry - my copies of Total Film, Hotdog and Empire all arrive at the same time, and have pretty much become interchangeable in my head...

James Moran said...

No worries - I wouldn't have seen it at all if you hadn't mentioned it, so cheers!

Jools said...

Dammit, how do I get Tom Baker to read out my text messages? I tried it on my phone and just got some posh bint swearing on my phone, not fair!!