Friday, April 28, 2006

Developments, and block-blockage

The Curfew response is good. Very good. They still have a couple of issues, so we'll have to go in for a meeting, just to reassure them that there are solutions that will all be addressed in the script itself. But it's looking good. Severance is still undecided on a release date, there are tentative ideas, but nothing definite. Saw some more poster ideas, which were very cool, and also took home a couple of props from the filming. I am now the proud owner of a fucking HUGE machete, and a small, sharp hatchet. If the police had stopped me on the way home, I'd have had a lot of explaining to do.

Other projects: One mystery project with some people I've worked with before, is now coming together - we're all working on the outline, and hope to have something to show soon. No news on the informal pitch thing I had the other week, but I've sent in my proposal now so I'll just have to wait and see. I have two other things that are just at the semi-outline stage, just rough one-pagers, but nobody has seen those yet, I'm still fine tuning.

I started writing a post about getting past some common writer's block situations, but I'm... heh... stuck on it. Mainly because I'm trying desperately not to give writing advice on here, as I feel like I'm still learning. I mean, we're all still learning, from each other, but I just think that if I'm going to give out advice, it had better be pretty fucking good. I originally started this blog to let people know what my experiences are in the writing business. So I'm not going to give any advice, unless I know for definite it's correct, like the address of the IMDB or something. But as things occur to me, I'll be talking about my own writing, some of the tricks and techniques I use to solve any problems I come across. I'll say how I do it, but I'm definitely not saying "this is how it's done". It's different for everyone, and I'm certainly no expert. So if any of it gives you an idea or helps you out, that's cool. If you think it's a totally ridiculous way of working, that's cool too - it works for me, that's all I'm saying. I wouldn't post this sort of stuff at all, but I think we all have a responsibility to share our experiences, and if any of it helps someone even in a tiny way, then it'll be worth it. Of course, I may not even do any of it, I'm still uncomfortable with the whole idea, as I'm a great big insecure ponce. Anyway, if you're looking for solid writing advice and expert info, then you should definitely check out the blogs of the inscrutable Master Stack and Master Rogers, young Grasshopper. When you can snatch the pebble from either of their hands, then it will be time for you to leave.

Just remember - there is no right or wrong way. There's just the way that works for you, and the way that doesn't. Oh, and the way that gets you arrested, but I won't be covering that sort of thing here.

No comments: