Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Tagged by coincidence

I've been tagged by my mate Phil. It's odd that he tagged me with this particular questionnaire in this week, because... well, see for yourself.

What were you doing 10 years ago?

10 years ago this very week (at time of writing, 5th April), I moved to London from Dublin. I'd just been sacked from a shitty job, been living on about a fiver a week (pasta and powdered packet sauces), got horribly ill for 2 weeks (didn't eat for a week, threw up every day), and weighed about an ounce. My sister got me a job over here, so I moved over, as there was nothing doing in Dublin at the time. It's weird, I was thinking about this recently, but didn't realise the significance of the date. At the time, I was really upset to leave Dublin, but if I hadn't, I would never have seen the Sci-Fi Channel competition, and might never have got my writing career off the ground. So although I didn't realise at the time, it was pretty important to come over here. Funny how things work out, the random chances that make you who you are today. Also, the week before I moved, I saw Don't Look Now for the first time, and it scared the shit out of me. Coincidentally, this week in the present, it turned up in our Lovefilm rental queue, and I watched it with Jo. Even more coincidentally, two days later it was given away free with the Observer. Weird, eh?

What were you doing 5 years ago?

April 2001, I'd been in my dayjob for just over a year, and wasn't really doing anything much. Still in the same flat, still in the same dayjob - but had almost given up on writing altogether, thinking that nothing would come of it. At the end of that year, I had entered the Sci-Fi Channel competition, but assumed I wouldn't win. Little did I know...

What were you doing 1 year ago?

April last year, let's check my irregularly updated blog: I finished the first Curfew outline, and it was sent out to various people. At the end of April, many of the responses were in, but the deal hadn't happened yet. Now, exactly a year later, the final version of the outline has been sent into the suits... Severance got the official greenlight, and ramped into full production - I saw a test poster, animatics, storyboards, location photos, and so on. I started working on some DVD extras, the casting was in full swing, the Severance office got a dedicated phone number, and Claudie Blakley was cast as Jill. Somebody else was cast, apparently "a 4th character", but I can't remember who it was, as I had to be secretive at the time, and didn't make a note of it.

5 snacks you enjoy:

--Crisps - they will be my downfall, and Taytos are the best
--Bacon sarnies - white bread, brown sauce, bacon not too well done
--Kit Kats - the ones in the foil, so you can run your finger down to tear it
--Cereal bars - at least they're healthy, even if they do look like a freeze-dried poo
--Toast and marmite

5 songs (you think) you know by heart:

--Give It Away, Red Hot Chili Peppers - convinced I know every word, but I don't at all
--Rawhide, Blues Brothers version - I do actually know all the words to this
--Everybody Needs Somebody, Blues Brothers version - this one too
--Never Let Me Down Again, Depeche Mode - because there aren't that many words in it
--Back In Black, AC DC - again, convinced I know it, but struggle through the first three words sometimes

5 things you would do with a LOT of money:

--Sort my family and friends out so they'd never want for anything
--Buy a massive house with an indoor pool, a games room, your basic rap star crib
--Travel around the world with Jo, hand luggage only, buying things as we need them
--Buy my local multiplex, have it moved brick by brick to be next door to my house, keep it staffed and run exactly the same, but only let me and my mates in, nobody else, and install a Faraday cage that (a) blocks mobile phone signals, and (b) electrocutes anyone trying to use a mobile phone
--Have several people killed and put on display as a warning to others

5 things you would never wear:

--Shorts. It's just not going to happen.
--Sandals. It's just not going to happen.
--Those weird thongy underpant things.
--Anything itchy.
--Suits, shirts and ties - had to wear a suit for years at a previous job, I hated it. I have thrown away all my ties, and will never wear one again.

5 things you should never have worn:

--Long hair. When it was long, it was far too thin, frizzy, wavy, and skanky. I looked like an explosion in a yeti factory.
--White socks with grey canvas trousers, the style at the time when I was in boarding school.
--Overly baggy black clothing. I thought it would make me look bigger, as I was too skinny, but it just made me look even skinnier. And weird.
--The horrible plasticky glasses I wore during boarding school, picked by my mother "so they won't break". Finally ditched them when I was 17, got myself a decent new pair and smashed the shit out of the plasticky ones.
--Great big pointy boots with cuban heels and loads of metal studs and skulls, when going through the metal detector in a US airport, or at any time, really.

5 things you enjoy doing:

--Writing
--Sitting in Starbucks, perpetuating the corporate blahblah, getting jittery on their hypercaffeinated coffees, scoffing a muffin, and chatting with Jo
--Going to the cinema, even if it's full of noisy wankers who WON'T SWITCH THEIR FUCKING PHONES OFF OR STOP TALKING DESPITE THE RIDICULOUS PRICES THEY'VE PAID FOR TICKETS AND SWEETS THEREBY PAYING ABOUT 20 QUID EACH TO TALK ABOUT SHITE
--Wandering around a city I've never been to, just discovering interesting places
--Playing Resident Evil, Driver, Burnout, Silent Hill, GTA, Half Life 2, and Worms World Party until my hands cramp up and my eyes bleed

5 bad habits you have:

--Procrastination. I waste more energy actively avoiding things, than I would waste just doing the things themselves.
--Swearing very loudly in the street if someone barges past me, or if the trains are delayed, instantly making myself that mad shouty bloke who everyone ignores.
--Holding grudges. There's a fucker from my class at primary school, back when I was about 5, who is STILL on my shitlist.
--Going too far, with bad taste. I'll be messing around with my mates, our jokes getting sicker and sicker, then I'll just push it over the edge, the smiles vanish, and everyone looks at me like I'm a nunrapist or something. See? I could have said pork chop at a bar mitzvah, but no, I went straight for the nunrapist thing. Can't help myself.
--Vanity surfing. I'm always on the lookout for Severance news, I have no shame whatsoever because I know you all look yourselves up too.

I'm supposed to tag 5 other people, but I can only think of 2 or 3, and I'm planning on creating my own special secret tagging thing soon, so I won't tag them with this one. When the time is right, I will strike, like a ninja.

7 comments:

jodie said...

I love you, but King crisps are better than Tayto.

Danny Stack said...

Tayto, Tayto, Tayto, Tayto.

And Barry's Tea.

Optimistic_Reader said...

Nothing beats Tayto!

Lucy said...

I have no frigging idea what tayto is or are. Is this an Irish thing?

I used to love "back in black", rock chick that I am, but my husband got it as a ring tone on his fecking mobile AND as an alarm, so I now hear the start riff approximately 4000 times a day!!! I think murder is the only answer... him or the fone, not sure which yet. The fact my intolerance levels are rising in tandem with my belly AND I'm running out of space in my garden may make the decision for me.

James Moran said...

Tayto are an Irish brand of crisps, and even the humble cheese and onion flavour makes me shudder with delight.

But never mind any of this - "Don't Look Now" is haunting me. Following me, down through the years. Will I ever be safe?

Danny Stack said...

Have a pack of Taytos to calm you down.

But watching Don't Look Now: it's like 'oh my god', literally holding your breath, the whole thing's so riveting, slowly spinning a mystery that resolves in a truly devastating fashion.

What kind of horror is it though? Supernatural drama/thriller? If you try pitching supernatural dramas nowadays you usually get: "so it's not scary then?"

soulmining said...

Thanks for being so obliging! I'd forgotten the long hair period too (how could I?), it wasn't good for me either...

I love your cinema and want to become a member please.

Don't Look Now... funny you should mention that, as I'm hoping to meet Nicholas Roeg next month when he's coming to give a talk. You can come if you want, maybe that will cure your stalking movie curse. Or not.

Btw, I was going to email you today but our whole network is down at work, so it's stuck in draft format...

(Sorry for going on a bit everyone, it's late, I'm tired...)