Friday, May 12, 2006

It has begun.


Oh yes. It has begun indeed.

The past few evenings, I've been glued to my iBook, headphones on, various carefully selected music playlists blasting into my ears, fingers gliding across the keyboard, completely immersed in the world of Curfew. The script. The proper, actual script. I'm 15 pages in.

We had the big Curfew meeting on Tuesday. It was all very easygoing, we chatted about the outstanding issues, the solutions for them, and that was that. Go ahead and start the script, they said. I've been dying to get started for ages, it's all in my head, fully formed, just bursting to get out, like an evil, half-formed twin inside my skull, bonded to my brain and controlling my actions - but in a good way. I'll try and post updates of how it's going, but I might be a bit wrapped up with it, so who knows. Because of the nature of the storyline (a fast-paced, intense horror thriller), I'm trying to write as fast as I can, to keep the energy flowing. So far, so good. I'm having a fucking brilliant time with it.

Severance is still on course for the 25th August, if I hear any different, I'll let you know. They're working on the trailer and poster at the moment, can't wait to see what the results are. Got a shitload of meetings coming up, thanks to the impending buzz, people want to get in on the act. Doesn't mean anything will come of it, but at least they're reaching out and saying hey, we're interested, show us what you've got. So I need to get my shit together and get at least three things ready to pitch. I've done the meet and greets with most of them already, this is stage 2. It's all very exciting, and a bit scary at the same time - I mean, just because I've got my foot in a few doors (multi-footed, me), it doesn't mean they'll buy any old shite from me. One day, I hope to rise to the level where everyone *will* buy any old shite from me - you've got to have goals, right?

Strange: it's exactly a year since I had all the Curfew meetings, many of which were with the same people. It's the "Don't Look Now" effect, all over again.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Okay James, the interview with Tim McInnerny appeared in 'What's On TV' magazine (May 13th to May19th). The one with Ross Kemp's shiny bald head on the front cover and yes, it's "Still only 40p".

He mentions getting scared whilst staying in a Hotel in Hungary. Sorry, I'm new to your blog so I'll go back through the archives and check out what he's on about.

All the best.

Dom Carver said...

I'm doing so many rewrites at the moment (does three count as many?) that I really miss that starting a new script feeling. I want some and I want it soon.

James Moran said...

Thanks for that, Dan - the hotel was a huge, fancy place in the middle of nowhere, so there was no local village, just forests and mountains surrounding us. The entire cast and crew took the place over, so it was just us - you could wander around and not see anyone for ages, it was a bit like The Shining. Gorgeous place, but a bit scary...

rawshark said...

Hey James. Great to hear (well, read at least - I don't know why we say hear when we read something) that you've started another!

Already looking forward to seeing Severance again with a paying audience, and now Curfew could well be on the horizon.

Right, stop reading this, and get back to work on it...

james henry said...

Looking forward to seeing some posters....

Very exciting.