Saturday, June 10, 2006

Another list - meetings, and the writing frenzy

Things that have happened to me this week:

* Met Other James, who mistakenly thinks that *I* am called Other James, when I am simply James and *he* is, in fact, Other James. He's probably saying that exact same previous sentence over on his blog, if so he is a dirty stinking LIAR, and I never touched him. Just the sort of thing I'd expect an "Other James" type to say. Although he was very nice, unless he's fattening me up for the kill or something. No, I don't know how that would work.

* Met Stacks of Danny and Matt "I still don't have a blog despite what a deviant that makes me" Wilkinson. Discussed some Secret Plans of the utmost secrecy.

* Had two more meetings, one with a bloke from a Very Large US Company. Pitched two of the things I'm working on outlines for, and they went down very well, which is a good sign - shows that the ideas are commercial, at least. That's not a dirty word for me, I'm tired of the attitude that has prevailed for years over here that commercial stuff is somehow lower quality than your period dramas about people dying of consumption and wearing posh frocks. Whenever I meet people, I make it clear that I write stuff I'd want to see on a Friday night at the cinema. They're movies, they're supposed to be entertaining on some level, and there's nothing wrong with that.

* Went to a party thingy for the Skillset graduates. Had a good time, was quite happy and confident, but for some reason my tongue just could not wrap itself around any words I wanted to speak aloud. I must have come across like some sort of idiot savant, but without the savant part. Couldn't get a single complete sentence out, for the whole evening.

* Met the head of Pathe. Was introduced to him at the party thingy, just as I was leaving, and discovered that he had actually heard of Curfew. Everyone I meet has heard of Curfew, for some reason. This just added to my tongue-tied-ness.

* Finally went to the gym. They cancelled our induction last week, it was looking like we were destined never to set foot in the place. Did an hour using all the different machines, with the special plan they drew up for us, which was very cool. Now, muscles I didn't even realise existed are screaming in pain, and my heart has exploded. But in a *good* explodey way.

* Saw Poseidon, which is top notch. See above comment about commercial stuff. It's short, sweet, gets to the action in about 5 minutes (it's a disaster movie, we don't need an hour of exposition), and is fantastically harsh and gruesome. Several times, we looked at each other, open mouthed in amazement at something incredibly dark that had happened. The bit in the lift - don't want to spoil it, but it's when a terrible, terrible decision must be made - was gobsmacking. Most importantly, it's got Kurt fucking Russell in it, who rocks in everything he does. And Richard Dreyfuss, who stole the entire movie with his first 5 seconds of screen time. This is what summer movies used to be like. It washed away the stain of X-Men 3, with a fuckoff tidal wave. Can't wait for Superman Returns. We're so excited about the cinema again, we're actually going to see Fast and the Furious 3 next, because it looks like a good laugh - car crashes, fighting, and the spookily good kid from American Gothic, but all growed-up. We're there!

* Wrote shitloads more of Curfew. I'm 72 pages into my first, rough, don't-show-anyone draft, and it's spewing out like a dream. I'm so jazzed to be writing a proper script again, so quickly, it's just firing up all my synapses and making me come up with loads of ideas for other things. I'm working on 4 other outlines at the same time, just to mop up all the energy, not letting it go to waste. My plan is to have another outline ready to go, so that when I deliver the first draft of Curfew, I can just immediately start writing another script. I'm on such a roll, I came very close to going for that 14 Day screenplay challenge thing that everyone's doing, as well as all the other stuff. Luckily, I realised that would be madness, and stopped myself in time. It's great to be writing again, though. For me, outlines and things don't really do the job, because you don't get that same buzz as when you fire up the old script machine and start letting the characters live and breathe. Writing, when it's going well, just gets you in the mood for more writing. Yes, I'm aware how wanky this all sounds, but I don't care.

Soon there will be a new blog entry, with an actual question and answer thing. Yes, someone has asked a script question, and I'll be answering it here! Actual content with a point to it, instead of random talk about me me me! Don't worry, normal service will be resumed soon.


Chris (UK Scriptwriter) said...

Hi There,

I've decided to fall abck into the world of the spec monkey and decided to see who's still around. If I can cross my fingers each week hoping to win the lottery, I should be able to cross my fingers hoping to sell a screenplay.

Nice to see you still have a finger in a pie or two.



James Moran said...

Welcome back - don't waste your money on the lottery. Give it to charity instead, at least that way they'll get the full quid instead of whatever percentage is allotted to them. Or spend it on crisps, proper writing food.

Now get back to writing! There's a 14 day screenplay challenge thing happening at the moment, it's 7 days into it, but you could always start your own one. 2nd draft in one month? Two months?

Chris (UK Scriptwriter) said...

Just wondering if there is a trailer of Severance available to watch?

Apologies if you have blogged the answer before now.


James Moran said...

No trailer yet - they should be fairly close though, I know they were looking at some new tests a few weeks ago. If/when it arrives, I'll put up links on the main page and in the sidebar, and probably email everyone I know...