Thursday, June 15, 2006

Contains strong bloody horror and violence

Severance has been rated 15 by the good people at the BBFC, passed with no cuts (click here for more details). All BBFC movies are given a line of consumer advice, and the one for Severance is "contains strong bloody horror and violence", which is what you want from a horror movie, really. It's certainly a step up from "mild fantasy peril", which was the verdict for my slightly less bloody short "Cheap Rate Gravity". I got a t-shirt made with that printed on it, because it was such a strange phrase, so I'm going to get another one now. It can be one of my weird little writer traditions, I don't really have any of those, and I need to cultivate some to appear windswept and interesting.

Speaking of consumer advice, I think the first Harry Potter had "mild fantasy spiders", which I've been told are NOT what I'm thinking of. And if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll know exactly what I'm thinking of.

Blogging may be light for a while, as I'm knee deep in Curfew, have an outline to finish for next week, and have massively fucked a tendon in my right wrist, so I need to rest my typing hands for a while. However, my *non* typing hands will be in constant use, ha ha. Yes, sadly my crap joke tendon is in perfect health.

10 comments:

Dom Carver said...

"Soon there will be a new blog entry, with an actual question and answer thing. Actual content with a point to it, instead of random talk about me me me!"

Define 'SOON'? ;-)

Ruth N. said...

Took my parents to the second Harry Potter film at my local cinema. As the lights went down I suddenly remembered about Aragog or whatever his bloody name is, and - being an arachnophobe - said "oh shit, this is the one with the massive spiders".

It wasn't until the spiders made their onscreen appearance that my terrified parents realised I didn't mean "this is the *cinema* with the massive spiders in it"... sigh.

James Moran said...

Dom: You're a writer too, so you know exactly what "soon" really means: sometime between right now and the end of time... Probably next week, because of my massively fucked tendon mentioned above.

Dan said...

It's always the swearing that bumps the certificate up to an 18. Severance contains 'strong bloody horror and violence'.

If it had 'strong fucking horror and violence' you'd get that 18.

Always the swearing you see. Oh yes.

James Moran said...

There's a lot of fucking swearing in Severance, though - loads of fucks, bollocks, shits, arses, and so on. Check this post for the full count (yes, I did word counts, because that's the kind of guy I am). Doesn't have a "cunt", though, which would have probably nudged it over the edge.

You can get a lot of gore into a 15-cert these days, so I'm not surprised - I'm sure The Terminator was originally an 18, but is now a 15 on DVD.

Jools said...

Fuck you, fuckball!!

Dan said...

Motherfucker?

soulmining said...

"Mild fantasy spiders"?? Just what ARE you thinking of... oh... right. No, I don't remember seeing any of THOSE with Harry Potter.

Loving your t-shirt idea. Shame you didn't write Nacho Libre as that's just been given the consumer advice "contains moderate and comic wrestling violence" - actually, there's some corkers on the BBFC website.

Lucy said...

I have a lot of mild fantasies, full stop these days. It's one of the sad parts of getting older. you lot are all ancient, must be even worse for you?

james henry said...

I have a mole in the BBFC camp, and they tell me one of the perks of the job is coming up with the warning things.

For 'A Knight's Tale', they wanted to put in 'contains mild jousting', but chickened out at the last minute.