Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's only a game

Okay. We get it. We all understand. It's been beaten over our heads constantly, for years and years, so finally I think we can say that everyone knows this one little piece of trivia:

England, apparently, won the World Cup in 1966.

Beating Germany.

At the World Cup.

In 1966.


Please. For fuck's sake. Stop going on. And on. AND FUCKING ON. I don't know what would be worse, England winning again, or never winning again - if they win again, then we'll never hear the end of it, but if they don't, we'll never hear the end of the fucking 1966 win. Either way, I lose.

We get it! It was all very exciting! Three lions! Geoff Hurst! Jules Rimet! Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now! Well hey, guess what?? It ISN'T all over! It never will be! EVER! It'll just keep on going, until the sun explodes, the Earth boils away into space, and the universe reaches its largest size then collapses down again into a microdot of theoretical nothingness. And even THEN, there'll be some fucking advert or supplement or documentary about it.

Yes, I'm sick of the World Cup already, and it hasn't even started yet.


Danny Stack said...

Bring it on my friend. Can. Not. Wait. And £50 on England to win, even sans Rooney. Just don't mention anything about Ireland not qualifying and I won't get upset.

Anonymous said...

Cool. Now start drafting the post where you complain about how England last won the World Cup FORTY-FOUR YEARS AGO!

Trust me, it'll save you time


James Moran said...

It's not that I care how long ago they won it, it's that it keeps getting shoved down our throats every time we turn on the telly, pick up a newspaper or magazine, or walk down the street. They still go on about the war, too, for fuck's sake, you'd think Hitler was still alive or something.

Dom Carver said...

You sound a very angry man today, is Curfew not going very well or something?

Breath deeply, open a cold can of Guinness and plonk yourself down on the sofa. There are only seven days to kick off and our glorious victory that will emulate the 66 triumph.

It vill be our greatest victory since zee var!!!

James Moran said...

Dommy Atkins, for you ze var is OVAH!

Going very nicely actually, I've been in a hyper-productive state for several weeks, instead of my usual laziness. I'm on a bit of a sugar rush, but it's a Curfew rush instead. Or something. Updates soon! News and things! More coffee!

soulmining said...

I can't wait for the World Cup to begin, but I have to say that little rant of yours just cracked me up...

Actually, what bugs me is the fact that EVERY SINGLE F***ING ADVERT ON TV has to have a football theme.

Dan said...

We won the world cup? YESSSSSSSS!

When did that happen? 1966 you say?


James Moran said...

At least they've stopped making every single advert about the DaVinci Code - have you cracked the code in our hardware sale, discover the secret of our carpets, etc etc.

Wow, I couldn't read the word verification thing for shite, so I clicked the accessible icon and got an audio version - strange female strangers whispered numbers at me, so I cracked the code and entered the secret world of something or other.