Friday, June 02, 2006

Severance distribution deals

The US rights have been flogged, so it looks like Severance will get a cinema release over there, which is very cool indeed. They've also announced several other sales, so it's going to be out in lots of countries. Click on the text below for the full story:

Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to the horror-comedy "Severance," directed by Christopher Smith and starring Danny Dyer and Laura Harris, which HanWay Films screened at the recent Cannes Market.

"'Severance' had me alternately laughing my ass off and gripping the seat handles in suspense. It's a fantastically entertaining mix of corporate comedy and slasher film -- kind of like 'Dilbert' meets 'Freddie,'" Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles said.

"Severance" will be released by Pathe throughout the U.K. over the Aug. 25 bank holiday weekend. In Cannes, HanWay concluded a raft of multiterritory sales, including France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Canada. Deals also were concluded throughout Southeast Asia and Latin America.


It's not really like Dilbert meets Freddy, although I'd pay to see that movie: When Freddy Krueger breaks through into Dilbert's nightmares, and starts brutally murdering the pointy haired boss, what's his face, and the other one, Dilbert must join forces with his former enemy Ratbert to defeat the razor-fingered menace. Intestines fly, as they travel between the real and cartoon world, and many gently amusing statements are made about modern office life.

8 comments:

soulmining said...

Good news!

Some positive feedback coming in from last night's preview too, if you've been reading the FF forum today...

Lee said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it (honest - even though I've already had two chances.)

Dom Carver said...

Even I'm looking forward to it and I HATE horror movies with a passion, but I do like a bit of comedy now and again.

Dan said...

Question: Will the film be on at all the Vue/Warner/Odeon villagemultiplexcinema places across the UK (Portsmouth in particular) or is it too early to know such details?

Sorry if that's a stupid thing to ask but film distribution baffles me. Every time I read a review of a movie and think "yeah, that sounds good", I usually find all the local picture houses near me aren't showing it.

'Suburban Commando' being a case in point.

James Moran said...

It should be on at all major places like those - as far as I know, the release will be at least as big as Creep's, which was on pretty much everywhere around the country. If I find out anything more definite, I'll do an update.

Cindy said...

It'd be so cool if it came to the Swiss cinemas. Don't think I could bear watching it. Reading it was cool - but... I'm really not a horror movie kinda girl. But I'll tell everyone else to go see it! :) And maybe when the DVD's out I'll buy that. Cos there I can skip through the scary parts...

james henry said...

Ooh well done.

Dom Carver said...

If I go and watch it and poo my pants because it's so scary, and wee my pants coz it's so funny, can I sue you for new pants?