Monday, July 10, 2006

"Don't tell him, Pike!"

Cracking finale to Dr Who, apart from the mood-spoiling bride bit, even if they did chicken out a tad by not killing SpoilerCharacter (but in fairness, at least they rammed the painstick home by having him run out of time at the holographic meetup thing, and good on them for not having him say those words afterwards). Loved the big battles, major death scenes, solid drama, and a really touching, didn't-think-I'd-like-it-but-ahhhh farewell moment. Again, some bizarre logic, but I was enjoying it enough to overlook it (I've decided that the crying what's-her-name Cyberman wasn't quite finished, and escaped before the pain limiter thingy was put in). Very nice surprise about what the genesis ark was, and what was inside. Even found myself loving the (surely intentional) camp verbal bitchslap meeting between Who's two greatest foes, along with a great Dad's Army gag. I managed to get a copy of the script for you all:


The three Cybermen turn the corner, and come face to face with three Daleks. An irresistible force meets an immovable object. Clash of the titans. The tension is palpable.

Identify yourselves!

No! YOU! Identify!

No, you!

NO! Daleks! Do! Not! Take! Orders!

Aha! Identified as Daleks!

Bugger! Exterminate!

Exterminate my arse!
You will be deleted!

Delete! This! Big! Ears!

Dalek 3 FUCKS CYBERMAN 3’S SHIT UP, big style. Cyberman 3 falls the floor, head exploding.

Oh no you didn’t!

Oh! Yes! We! Did!

There are millions of Cybermen!
And only four of you!

It! Only! Takes! Four! To!
Destroy! All! Of! Youuuuu!

Ooh, get her!

I’ll scratch your eyes out, you bitch!

Careful! Dalek! Comrades! I!
Think! She! Has! P! M! S!

Daleks and Cybermen whip out handbags, and start slapping each other. The film speeds up, and the Benny Hill music plays.


Dom Carver said...

It was indeed a cracking episode and like the big hunk of man that I am I blubbed like a girl at the end. I feel so ashamed.

Dan said...

You just need Davros bumbling in the corner saying:

"They don't like it up 'em"

Tim Clague said...

Dom needs to have his emotions removed. Tin suit is optional at this stage

soulmining said...

I was so hoping that Davros was going to be inside the 'genesis ark' but hey, their idea worked okay...

Well done for getting the script James, good work.

I bought a silver baking tray at lunchtime today. I'm not building Cybermen in my basement, alright?

James Moran said...

Me too, I was totally convinced that Davros would roll out of the ark, doing his "I'm really rather reasonable" thing one minute, then suddenly switching to full-on "DIE YOU SCUMSUCKING PIGDOGS"-mode without breaking stride.

Okay, next season, they have to bring Davvers back. Or The Master. Dying to see The Master again, he was an evil bastard. I always found Davros quite funny, he was so clearly insane. Same with the Daleks, they just hate *everyone* and want to kill them all. It's quite endearingly simple.

Jodie said...

I don't think they chickened out by not killing SpoilerCharacter. It was a fate much worse than death I thought.

James Moran said...

Watching it again on the Dr Who Confidential show, I think you're right - a fate worse than death indeed. Had to wind it back to see - okay, SPOILERS coming up, don't say I didn't warn you: when he runs out of time before telling her how he feels, her face pauses for a moment, as she wonders if life is really going to be that shitty to her... then she glances to the side, realises that yes, it fucking well is, and her hand covers her face in grief as she crumples up. Do a frame by frame on it - you can, to quote Bart Simpson, pinpoint the exact second her heart shatters in two. Nice!

Cindy said...

Your original script made me laugh.

I only watched the finale two days ago. And I needed to take a shower afterwards to wash the tears away. Cos, strangely enough I'd grown to quite like Rose. And yeah, the bride was a mood killer... grrr...