Tuesday, August 22, 2006

DVD Commentary

The day after the press junket, we all turned up again to record the DVD commentary - me, Chris, Tim, Andy, Danny, Babou, and John Frankish the production designer (Claudie couldn't make it, and Laura and Toby were still in the US). It was a big group one, all of us together, in a tiny Soho screening room, like a mini cinema. I've always wanted to do a commentary, and I was determined to be prepared - I hate commentaries where there are long silences, people laughing at the jokes, and endless gushing praise for the actors. So I made some notes, made sure I had enough stuff to say. Chris had done some notes too, and was going to lead the chat, asking us all about various aspects of the movie. So we were all set.

Our finely crafted plans lasted about 12 seconds after Danny entered the room, grabbed a beer and took over, so we immediately settled into a random free-for-all. We had headset earphones and microphones, so if you wanted to say something, you had to be quick. It was hilarious, silly, and of course we ended up laughing at some jokes, and complimenting everyone. But at least it was entertaining. I managed to get about three sentences in, which is impressive considering the constant banter - you can't accuse this commentary of having long silences. I learned my lesson when I got asked about the dream sequence, early on - I was all set to say my piece about it, but thought I'd do a joke first. Joke got a laugh, I took a breath, and went to carry on - but my mistake was stopping for breath, as the banter just carried on. Half of the time I was too busy laughing to get a word in. I decided to abandon my carefully constructed discussions of the intention behind the writing, as even if I could have got any in, it would have killed the atmosphere dead - so I just tried to keep up with the joking, anecdotes, and banter. It was brilliant fun, just like we were all sitting around in a living room together. In fact, it was very much like the eatmybrains.com Zombie Club I went to, but with headsets - a gang of people, with booze, watching a movie and having a laugh.

So, that's one of my ambitions from last year finally achieved - I have "done" a DVD commentary. It was completely different to what I expected, but much, much better.

7 comments:

Dan said...

Tim McInnerney was interviewed about the film on BBC Breakfast today.

rawshark said...

Cool as - a proper DVD commentary..

AND a mention for our Zombie Clubs too. You star..

Funnily enough, the last ZC we did was last week, and we recorded our own commentary too. Rigged up to Russ' 4-track, we plugged three sets of headphones into the DVD and dangled a mic from he ceiling, which was patched through the 4-track and into my G4 and recorded on audacity.

Ok, so it's not going to be anywhere near as professional (or, let's face it, funny) as yours, but we're getting there.

Tune in and download snippets when we publish Fishmen Night in about two weeks..

Oh, and the Jay and Sean Show Zombie Club which you attended James, should be published on thursday just before the Severance screening.

See you there!!!

rawshark said...

btw - we have three killer costumes from Severance to give away on eatmybrains (thanks Pathe!), including the costume of the killer who gets a knife up the backside...

Visit www.eatmybrains.com to enter...

soulmining said...

Well done mate! I was so hoping you'd get to do a commentary track... anything to get your mates to buy the DVD eh? ;)

Look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

Steve said...

Why don't you have an entry on Severance in Wikipedia? It will increase hits to the official website and this blog.

James Moran said...

Steve: no idea, I don't know if anyone's thought about it. I'm sure it'll pop up on there soon...

steve said...

There's an entry on WP now. Out of interest visit here: http://rtlc.blogspot.com/2006/08/few-things-roanoke.html
It's a link you arrive at from searching for "Roanoke Island" on WP: there's a bunch of student film makers in Kent, or somewhere, who've spent the summer filming a historical feature - pretty ambitious, but they do have their shit together when it comes to blogging and promotion. I don't know how ISP's manage internet traffic, but WP is something like the 15th most popular site in the world. The link has an interesting comment on the effect their entry on WP had on hits to their site.
The entry for Severance is just a stub - you can get on there yourself and post non-spoiler info and background, and upload the film poster - type in the name of your favourite film and see how it's done. And try and create a disambiguation page, so that the Australian band's album doesn't dominate the search facility. You can do it, you know you can!
The Hollywood Reporter review is nice - gives the impression the writer is SO clever.
I'll "take in the movie" over the weekend.
Good luck.