Monday, September 11, 2006

Catching up, and being a panellist

Slowly getting on top of things. Had 5 things that needed doing, and I've now done 3 of them. Hoping to finish one tomorrow, and make a start on the last one the day after. I'm 50 pages into my new spec, it seems to be chugging along nicely. Had a great meeting with some TV people over a potential project I'm really excited about. And I'm actually considering starting another spec, even before finishing the first one, because I'm dying to get going on it. But that way madness lies. Been doing a few interviews lately, mostly web ones, I'll do a separate post to round them all up, as they're not all online yet. Did a really good fun one today for Shooting People, looking forward to seeing that. Got bucketloads of meetings this week, and early next week, and some big news coming about what I'm up to soon...

Next Tuesday I'm a panellist at the New Producer's Alliance "9 Point Script Development Training": "An overview of the script development process. Who’s who in the development world. The basic questions: What is a Script Report? What is Script Coverage? Where can you get them? How do you copyright a script? Can you copyright an idea? Where do you go to get help with your writing skills? Who’s out there to help writer producers, script editors with development? How do you find the right team? The Panel: A writer, Producer, Script Editor, Director. Guess which one I am? I'm really looking forward to it, because I can pretend to be an expert for a couple of hours, and hope nobody calls my bluff - and maybe help some people out along the way, of course. It's open to everyone, non-members are charged £10, no idea what members pay, if anything. It's an ongoing course thing, I'm only expected to do this one, but if it goes well, they might ask me back again.

Severance is still out in many cinemas, so still time to check it out if you haven't. It just played at the Telluride film festival, and was apparently the first slasher ever to be shown in its 33 year history - they don't announce the movies they're showing until the opening day of the festival. They still insist on describing it as "The Office meets Deliverance", neither of which it is anything like, although one of them did say "The Office meets Evil Dead 2" - which is still not quite right, but a bit closer to the mark. Anyway, apparently it went down well:

...one of the festival’s biggest sleepers was the unlikely success of the British slasher film, Severance... probably the slyest and most subversive evisceration of the military industrial complex since Bob Dylan’s "Masters of War." The sight of septuagenarians emerging glassy eyed and giddy from this Ten Little Indians meets Friday the 13th extolling its merits was truly a sight I had never beheld at Telluride.

Another reviewer didn't seem too keen, finding it less than hilarious, but did concede: "Who knows? This made-for- midnight movie might just find an audience in the real world. At minimum, those who market Severance probably will be encouraged by what one woman was overheard saying in line. She reported that after the movie her companion wanted to go into the bathroom and throw up. If you're in the horror business, you can't buy publicity like that." - Indeed you can't. Ch-ching!

Thank you to everyone who is emailing, probably thanks to the Shooting People posts. The most common question is still how did you get started/how did you get Severance made - the answer to the first one is here, and the answer to the second one is in many, many posts following that one. Second most common question is how do you get financing/get your films made - sadly, I have no idea about how to get financing for a film, or how to get them made, I got an agent, wrote a script, and sold the script. That is the extent of my knowledge on "getting your script made", sorry about that. Any other questions though, I'm happy to answer, and will do so here on this very blog which you are reading right now. Using "words"!

12 comments:

hotzappa11 said...

James, how do you pronounce the guys name and do you have an example of this letter of genius you sent to PDF?

keep up the good work, btw.

Chris (UK Scriptwriter) said...

According to the UK film council, severance has taken £1,306,551 to date.

Any idea what the film's budget was?

I know what you mean about getting started on another script before you have finished you current. I'm fighting the urge to do that right now.

James Moran said...

Hotzappa: JAY-go, best said while curling one lip up and growling. Great idea, if I can find the query letter I'll post it up. Nice!

Chris: Yep, it was an even 4. They're last weekend's figures, last I heard it was up to 1.5 last Mon or Tue, so I'll post when I find out the third weekend's update.

Hells said...

I just happened to see a link to you on a friend's blog and had to come and see wether you were who I thought you were.. And you are! Seen the movie and I really enjoyed it! It was well worth the extortionate prices at cinema's to go and see it :)

Jools said...

How come Volver, which came out on the same day as Severance, and has taken less money, is still in the top ten when Severance isn't? How unfair is that?

James Moran said...

Hells: Cheers! Glad you felt the movie was good value, even considering the ridiculous prices they charge nowadays. West End is particularly shocking.

Jools: Because it's all about how much you've made this week, that decides it - otherwise Pirates 2 would stay at number 1 forever, even after it was gone from the cinemas. Severance was only down to 13 last week though, so I'll wait and see where it's got to this week.

Lucy said...

Here's a Q for you: now you're a respectable screenwriter with credits and everything (damn you and well done), do you find people kiss your ass more? Or is too early to say?

Hells said...

One day I shall write a blog on how ridiculous prices in cinema's are. I may even start touring cinema's to see which are worth it and which aren't.. All I need now is the money to do it and the motivation to get up of my backside* and start...

In ref to Lucy's Q, if said ass kissing does occur, will you enjoy it and use it to your own devilish advantage?


* Yes I have made note that I will be spending a lot of time on said backside which in itself is thoroughly tempting...

Lucy said...

Hells - are you a girl or a boy? Devilish advantages AND asses in the same sentence, I'm getting a little scared. Though which gender would be scarier I have no idea...

Actually...Boys. They're hairier.

WTF am I talking about. I have no idea. This is what happens when you're up for a zillion hours a day with babies and scripts. Shame on you all for leading me astray.

Dom Carver said...

I have a question for you too, James.

Laura Harris, would you?

I know I would.

Sorry, only vaugely film related that one.

Danny Stack said...

Dom, you're a married man! You've still got wedding rice in your hair!

Dom Carver said...

No harm in looking, it keeps them on their toes.

Besides, thank God for Reyes leaving Arsenal, if I had had to listen to Susie drool over him once more when Match of The Day came on I would have sold my telly.