Friday, October 20, 2006

Possible upcoming changes

Switched over to the new Blogger beta last week, which is why you're now seeing fancy labels at the end of posts. Haven't yet gone the final step of switching my template to the new Layouts thing - I'm using a standard template, but tweaked for different colours, header image, and sidebar stuff. But I really, really want to switch over, because it looks so much better. If I switch, I'll either spend ages making it look the same as it does now, or I'll just pick a brand new template, and abandon the current design with my fancy header image. There are some nice, minimal templates available, that will save me a lot of trouble. So what do you think? Clean and minimal, or the current design? I'll probably still put a picture of the pen and spork in the sidebar, even if I go for the minimal one. It'll also be nice to be able to switch templates without having to spend ages fiddling, then I can just copy a chunk of stuff into the sidebar when I switch around. Okay, I think I'm in favour of changing. If you have strong opinions either way, speak now, or forever hold your piss.

Done the redraft of the spec comedy. Still too scared to show it to anyone. Right now, it's mine, I don't have to listen to anyone's advice, notes, suggestions, thoughts, or whatever. It's exactly what I want it to be. As soon as anyone reads it, then that part ends. But then, you have to do that at some stage, and I may as well do it sooner rather than later, otherwise it's just a file sitting on my Mac. It was a lot better than I imagined, and funnier. I thought it'd be a huge mess, but was surprised at how clean it was. My scripts are a lot tighter and leaner these days, after seeing what can be cut before filming, during filming, during editing, and so on. It's been an education.

Still trying to come up with a TV thing, apart from the secret thing that a few of us writer colleagues are working on. The time is right for me to get something on telly, and yet I'm completely devoid of inspiration. Same goes for movie stuff, everything I come up with falls apart once it's subjected to any serious thought. If it's an existing idea, I'm fine, can work away, but new stuff is impossible. I should have had loads of things ready for the post-Severance period, to take advantage of my briefly "hot" status, but just feel like I've done absolutely nothing. I get this occasionally, dry spells where I can't think of anything decent, I suppose everyone does. Probably because I *should* be coming up with stuff, right now, that's why my brain just won't co-operate. Then I get worried, and think I'll never have another original idea ever again, and start thinking about how useless and talentless I really am. I'm going to switch off, stop trying to force it, and do some general research. And watch some TV and movies. Seeing A Scanner Darkly tomorrow (hello BAFTA screenings), and Verhoeven's new one Black Book on Tuesday (another special screening, with Verhoeven doing a Q+A afterwards). Hoping to cram in Children of Men and The Departed between them. And need to make a start watching season 1 of Veronica Mars, which just arrived, something I've been dying to watch ever since I caught the first episode.

And finally... usually, when us bloggers say "the scribosphere" we're semi-pretentiously referring to all the scribo-blogs out there. Now, we can say it without fear, because it's a real website, the Scribosphere, collecting all the useful posts from a wide selection of writing blogs. Very handy, all in one place, and brand new, so check it out. I know I'm about a week late with this, and you've probably seen it reported everywhere else, but I don't care, this is my town, and we do things my way round here.

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Your way, hey. Well said. I feel exactly the same way, only about what time the family has dinner sadly, but hey ho: one day I will be a powerful media ho like your good self, just you wait punk.

On a separate note, fancy dragging yourself to a soiree on Nov 25th?? It's not the swanky shit you're used to now you have goldplated toilets and stuff, but alcohol is involved....

James Moran said...

I'm trying to be more of a media ho, because I want free stuff... As long as there isn't a Toilet Man, and I'm around, then I'm always up for bloggyscribomeets. I'll bring my own goldplated toilet seat, like the Queen does.

Lucy said...

Excellent Smithers. There will absolutely NOT be a Toilet Man. Email suggestions of places to go...undecided as yet tho I reckon Chicquito's is a goer on Leics square, tho last time I was there they threatened to throw me out...I'm hoping they've forgotten!

I will pencil you in, dahlink! Of course, you realise I will need you to sign a polaroid picture of yourself which I can then sell on eBay!

Amanda said...

Lacking inspiration, hmmm? What you need is a muse. Who gets you thinking off on unusual trajectories? Who makes you laugh? Who makes you feel things you're uncomfortable with, challenges your normal state of being...yes, that's right, I believe your muse should be Toilet Man.

Failing to locate a Toilet Man who will co-operate, or indeed, you don't want to risk being arrested for loitering in a toilet without actual Toilet Man duties to perform, write a sit-com about Toilet Man. A comedy goldmine, surely?! Along with some poignant moments, and, ooooh, drama. Often drama in the toilets. At least in the womens there is...

Innyhoo. Problem solved.

Or not.


PS I had to type 'iinud' to verify I'm not a bot and get this posted. This is amusing me far more than is healthy for a woman the wrong side of 30.

English Dave said...

Confusciuous say ' Ideas are like busses. They come along frequently, but good ideas are like a lift home from a supermodel'