Monday, October 09, 2006

Still spaced out

Okay, I've just had a week of stumbling around like a zombie and not getting enough sleep. USA-UK jetlag is a bastard, it really is. Seeing as we were getting 3, 4 or 5 hours of sleep most nights, I'm surprised I'm still alive. So what have I been up to? Facing the usual post-adventure anticlimax, feeling tired, sleeping a lot, and feeling uninspired and exhausted. Sometimes the ideas just spring forth from the magical writing well, other times, like last week, I just can't get my head around anything at all. Feeling better today, but still have the nagging feeling that maybe I'll never have another good idea ever again, and will end up a penniless, bitter old drunk accosting passers by and asking if they've seen Severance, then trying to flog them a piss-stained DVD-R copy that won't play, before eventually selling my arse for a tuppenny bottle of gin. You know, the same feeling all writers get now and again. I've got stuff to work on, but just need to get back in the swing of things.

Couple of Austin wrap-up links and stuff for Severance while I'm here:

Severance is the 2nd highest rated movie of the entire Fantastic Fest - we came 2nd to Pan's Labyrinth, which is a fucking masterpiece, so it's a total honour even to be anywhere near it in the ratings. Update: As of yesterday, it was the top rated, which is madness. Madness!

Some AICN reviews from people who were at the Fest, first one here, second one here, and third one here.

Feeling ill? Injured? Call Chris DeBurgh. He's got healing hands. Lady in reeeeeeeeed, is healing your pain, etc etc. What he doesn't tell you is that his evil monobrow causes the pain in the first place. Apparently he "healed" some guy's sore leg, and the next day the leg - get this - WASN'T QUITE AS PAINFUL. Wow! Because as we all know, pain never ebbs away over a period of time, but rather remains constant until you die. Or get healed. By Chris DeBurgh.

Oh, and my agent has found this blog. My extremely handsome, intelligent, well-dressed agent. Who never beats me with a stick, not even when I really deserve it. No, I, er, walked into a door. Several times, over a period of years.

5 comments:

Pillock said...

Are you planning on writing more comedy-horrors? Assuming you ever get another idea, I mean.

james henry said...

I'm very excited about Pan's Labyrinth, so glad to have heard nothing but great word of mouth thus far...

Your agent rejected my first sitcom script, and this is the clever bit without me ever sending it to him, so he's clearly a very clever man on at least two levels.

This was about five years ago, by the way. Actually, come to think of it, my current agent rejected me as well, then took me on a year later, with no recollection of ever having rejected me previously.

James Moran said...

Pillock: Yes, if I get a good idea, I'll definitely do more. They're bloody hard work, though.

OtherJames: I think he actively seeks out people to destroy, if there's nobody nearby to destroy. He's like a hungry, hungry hippo, but more dangerous.

Amanda said...

If your agent is like a hungry, hungry hippo, I say thank your lucky stars you're not a marble. Or in any way spherical.

Chris De Burgh, eh? So, he's the new David Ike? That's how it started for Dave. One minute, he was making people's pain slightly less by the next day, then he was suddenly The Son of God. Ooooh, oooh, Ike/De Burgh smackdown to decide once and for all which one is the REAL fake Son of GOd. I'd pay to watch.

Cindy said...

I healed myself yesterday. I went running in the woods, and after a while my knee was killing me. Then, after another while of wondering whether I should stop running, it stopped hurting. I have healing legs. Or something...

Er, good to see you're back, btw! Pic/scan whatever of the flyer is to follow... Actually - I could just mail it to you? What'cha think?