Thursday, January 04, 2007

Two thousand and what?

Merry Nooyearrrr! Hope you all had whatever you wanted, and so on. The past few weeks have been a blur of writing, eating, drinking, sleeping, with occasional moments of falling over. Still haven't got everything finished, but just about keeping my head above water. Quite ridiculously busy though - got Curfew to finish, Super Secret TV Thing to do, Other TV Outline, and Other Secret Film Thing. With a possibility of another telly thing about to happen. All paid and contracted, so I have to do them, can't feign death again, they won't be fooled this time. There will be proper posts soon, I'm just trying to get stuff out of the way first.

Christmas TV was notable for its near total lack of anything worth watching, apart from that History of Light Entertainment thing, and the terrifying Fear of Fanny, which was fantastic. Give Julia Davis several hundred awards at once. As for my regulars, Torchwood has found its feet and hit its stride, capping off the season with a double bill of two confident, cracking episodes. And Christmas cinema was the usual fortnight of nothingness, unless you like shite, or are mildly retarded. So I've been mainly watching movies on DVD, and taking advantage of the online sales.

In the meantime, if you fancy getting hold of Severance on DVD (released this Monday!), you can get it from Play.com, or Amazon, or many other online places.


When I first checked Amazon, it was ranked 4000 and something in the DVD chart, it's currently at 26, which is quite exciting. I'll be watching that closely, not expecting to beat Planet Earth or Lost, but at the very least hoping to overtake Vicky Entwistle's Weight Off Workout. At the moment it costs £11.99 on both sites, but Play have free delivery, and a shorter website address which saves time when typing (these things are important). Of course, if you can find an unscrupulous shop who are selling the DVD early (Phil, I'm looking in your direction), then you'll be able to get hold of it before everyone else.

There have been some updates to the official site, including some Post-It notes, a game that isn't ready yet, and a Christmas card feature, which, er, also isn't ready yet. So that'll be one for Christmas 2007, then. The countdown starts here.

Amazon Chart Update: Shit! Amazon have nobbled us, by reducing Nell McAndrew's new workout DVD to £3.99. Nell has now stolen Severance's 26th chart place and knocked it back to 27. To be fair though, if I could pay 12 quid for a kickass horror movie, or 4 quid to watch Nell McAndrew jiggle around in bikini workout gear, I'd have to go for Nell. Shockingly, Vicky Entwistle has leaped up to number 21, outselling all of us, even outselling Children of Men. Stay tuned for more exciting updates...

Amazon Update 2:At 24! Dropped temporarily to 37, now back up again. It's all very thrilling. Although this is only the Amazon chart, updated hourly, including pre-orders, and bears no resemblance to the official DVD chart (which should be available next week). But I can keep refreshing it, so it's more unpredictable. Nell has dropped to 28, and the formerly unstoppable Vicky Entwistle has staggered down to 34. I can't stand the excitement.

10 comments:

soulmining said...

Yes, those unscrupulous traders at F*** in Brighton, I wonder if I ought to tell them that they're breaking the law (now that I've bought a copy, of course!)...?

Finished watching all the special features today and have posted a summary on my blog because I'm nice to you. And it was kinda weird seeing you on my telly!

I have to correct you on the Christmas films - there IS one good release out there at the moment and it's called Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer. Worth seeing out immediately!

Right, I'm off to kill some more yuppies...

Danny Stack said...

Happy 2K7. Yes, that's what they're calling it...

ChoJin said...

Hello,
I just discovered your blog through digg.com. I couldn't find your email in the blog, so I'm abusing the comment system ;)

Congratulation for your script which made it to the big screen. Being a (part-time) filmmaker (not screenwriter though) I can truly appreciate how you must feel.

I didn't see the movie yet, but the trailer looks funny, I'll rent the DVD.

We should keep in touch, who knows, maybe our paths will someday cross in LA or in UK. You'll find my email on my website as well as a link to my screenwriter friend's website (sidekickcity).

Good luck for 2007!

camille said...

£12 is too expensive. I'll just download the movie instead :D

SharQ (E2) said...

It's rather embarrassing, but the movie has been floating about on file-sharing services for about 2 weeks not. Ridiculous. Anyway, I've placed my order at Play.com.

This post totally needs a graph of your movie climbing to stardom. Awesome.

James Moran said...

Phil: Ah, good point, Perfume sounds good.

Danny: I'm going to call it that from now on. Or Two-double-oh-seven. Or Two-Bond.

Chojin: Cheers! And good luck to you too.

Camille: Or you could rent it... That's cheaper, isn't it? Piracy is communism! Or something.

SharQ: I know, it's been online since about September, no idea how they got hold of it. I don't think there's any way of stopping it anymore.

Dom Carver said...

I got my copy from a bloke on the market*... lovely black and white special edition cover, it almost looks like it's been photocopied.





* just jesting of course, I ordered it from Amazon today.

Phillip Barron said...

26? Fantastic. I was happy when 'The Evolved' got to 26,000. Although, you know you've really arrived when people start ripping you off online.

The Writer said...

Well, now I have another pro-writer blog to add to my list ...

Had a scan through your archives spanning Craw Lodge to P45 to Severance ... can I ask, who came up with Severance? It's a great title.

Your enthusiasm has been infectious, and I'll be dropping by to nose from time to time.

James Moran said...

The Writer: Thank you - no idea who came up with the title, there were several weeks where everyone scrambled around trying to think of a proper title (P45 was the one at the time), Severance was on the list, and it sort of felt right. And now I can't imagine it being called anything else.