Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fantasporto Day 1

Flight was fine, landing was fine, and got to the hotel easily. Porto is a beautiful city. The people are very welcoming, friendly, and a little bit mad. I've been drinking lots of Super Bock (the local beer) and eating plenty. I was hoping to put off the meat and cheese sandwich for one day, just to build up my strength, but somehow we ended up all eating it tonight. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Fantasandwich:



Yes. Yes indeed. Clickyclicky for biggybiggy, but only if you are prepared for the might of it. Can't remember the real name of it, but that's what it's now called. Every kind of meat inside - chicken, bacon, beef, sausage, and more - in a double decker toasted sandwich, with melted cheese. And quite feisty chili sauce all over it. There's prawns in it too, for some reason. It's really, really nice. But it's like having 27 meals at once.

The Severance screening went great, the audience got all the jokes I was worried about, and a few besides, and generally loved it. Half the time they were laughing before the dialogue happened, because the subtitles were on screen, so it must have been a good translation. Afterwards, several people came up and told me how much they enjoyed it, which was really cool. I did a short intro, in which I had no idea what to say, so rambled on for a few minutes, but was apparently funny - Mike from eatmybrains.com recorded it on his camera, so I might post it here if I was okay. I got laughs, so that's a success in my book.

After that, we went to MovieTown - a huge tent set up in the square outside the cinema, where they were showing the Oscars and giving us free beer. We'd gathered together a posse by this stage, so about 6 of us took over a corner, jeering the losers, loudly applauding the winners that we liked (yay for Pan's! yay for Marty! yay for Forest! yay for Morricone! big yay for Ellen making really funny jokes and being lovely!), and generally being drunken lunatics. There was much booing and shouting (led by me) when Celine fucking Dion somehow made the tribute to Ennio Morricone into a big "look at me I'm Celine Dion" moment, which was pretty fucking shameful (even more shameful that the man hasn't been given an Oscar for every single score he's done, but hey, that's another blog post). And plenty of cheering for Thelma Schoonmaker, editor extraordinaire. Around 5ish we staggered back to our hotels, supposedly to meet up at 9.30am for a tour of some port cellars (which, as I write this at midday the next day, none of us managed to get up for). Oh, we all had a bet thing going on, with a sheet where you make your predictions, and the winner scoops the pot - and I won! Joint first with one of the festival organisers, we both got the most correct. So I won the tidy sum of 8 Euros, and the satisfaction of being outrageously smug.

I'm supposed to have a press conference tomorrow, but apparently it's like a relaxed Q+A, so hopefully the assembled people will be kind to my hangover...

8 comments:

Lucy said...

U bitch. I could do with that sandwich...Oh and the scriptwritery thing, getting paid for it, going to INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTS would be nice too. *SIGH*

Film Chic said...

Now that sandwich has GOT to be worse than anything even Texas could feed you. Arteries...clogging...through...internet tubes....

Lucy said...

Yeah, but it's gotta be done, just like your name sake FC - FREAK OUT! Le Freak, say Chic...

Oh dear, I have way too much time on my hands. Again.

rawshark said...

The sandwich is called a Francesinho, and we had one in the place where it was invented 50 years ago. We also managed to (briefly) meet the inventor of the sandwich, who is still alive, despite the obvious heart attack connotations of such a meaty sandwich!!

Will get the clip of your intro to you soon - god I love film festivals!

soulmining said...

*shakes head*

B said...

Merely looking at the sandwich caused my arteries to harden.

Sarah Dobbs said...

Meat and beer. I feel the need to comment, but I just get stuck on "meat and beer." That sandwich looks like the embodiment of evil.

Jason Arnopp said...

I can attest that this sandwich is the devil's work. The goddamn devil's work at that. Yet it's absolutely delightful. It's a paradox within an enigma, sprinkled with mystery.

Glad you're having a great time, sir. Love to Jay!