Monday, February 19, 2007

Speedy hands and a festival

I have a 62 page rough draft of the Secret TV Episode. Call me Bullet, for I am fast, and DEADLY. My hands are actually registered as lethal weapons, like Martin Riggs, if you get in the way when I'm typing, you'll have 27 broken bones before I can stop myself. As expected, it flowed nice and easily, because the story was all there, I knew the characters, and I was dying to jump in and get moving. Discovered one major plothole halfway through, but didn't stop to try and figure it out, I just kept going. And then as I wrote, I got an inkling of how to solve it. After that, it suddenly popped up in a line of dialogue, and fixed itself. When I finished the very rough draft, I went back over it and set things up near the beginning, and it worked very nicely. Sometimes you just can't figure out stuff like that in the outline, you have to jump in and see where the story and characters take you, they'll usually figure out the answer for you. So I'm just going over it again and again, fine tuning, streamlining, making sure everything fits, and that it all moves along properly. I'm having so much fun with it, it's almost obscene.

BBC One-Off Thing: Had a good meeting with the boss, and ironed out some things. Need to revise the outline soon, and hand it over.

Pitch for New Movie Thing: Is done, and my agent is quietly approaching various people. I have no idea what will come of it, if anything, but it could be a really cool, scary movie if somebody picks it up. I was determined never to try and sell a pitch again in this country, but hopefully I've got a bit of clout now, and can manage it. The main trouble with trying to sell any pitch is that people don't know if it's going to be good or not, because it's not written yet. You're basically saying "I promise to write something really cool and successful, so give me lots of money right now with nothing to show for it up front, please." And they're basically saying "Er, no, you mad bastard." As of yesterday, one place has passed, and one place has had me in for a meeting about it, so it's early days yet.

And I don't even know why I'm mentioning this, because it's such an impossibly long shot, but... There's a brand new, upcoming TV show in the works, that I am desperate to write for. There is one slot left that they haven't filled yet (i.e. for one episode). My agent is sending them all of my stuff, including upcoming secret things, to try and land me the gig. There's almost no way it'll happen. But I've told him that if he can get me in, I will gladly kill one person of his choice, by any method he likes. I can make it look like an accident, or do a big ritualistic killing to send a message, anything at all. So watch this space.

Sorry for the lack of informative blog posts at the moment, I have various topics to talk about, but don't have time to do them properly. I'll get to the backlog of questions soon, I promise. Next week I'm off to the Fantasporto Film Festival in Portugal - they're showing Severance, and have invited me over to take part in the mayhem, so that should be good fun. Full line up of movies here. I'll try to blog as much as possible during the festival, depending on how much meat and beer they throw at me.

10 comments:

Blarneyman said...

Stop hogging all the good fortune. James, have you ever considered posting Severance online to read. I'd love to, I know I wouldn't be the only one?

Chris (ukscriptwriter) said...

I don't know.

You have fingers in too many pies. Perhaps a could ghost write a script for you and get my foot in the door that way :)

Seriously though, good luck with great big daunting pile of work you have. No pressure :)

James Moran said...

Blarneyman: Not sure if I'm allowed to put it online, there'd be publishing rights issues and things. But I'll find out if I can, because it would be good to let people see both an early and a later draft, see how things developed.

Chris: Cheers, feeling quite relaxed oddly enough. Probably because I've eaten all the pies...

Lauren said...

ohh i wish i could go to the festival to support Severance, a little too far tho!!

im going to London nxt tuesday tho, woo! lol

Oh James, is the cast going to the festival?

Lauren said...

oh and...i would LOVE to see the Severance script but understand there are publishing rights and all. would be awesome if u were allowed too! :D

James Moran said...

Lauren: Nope, just me - I think it's already been out in Portugal, so the next big release will be in America on the 20th April - some of the cast will probably be doing publicity over there for that.

Lauren said...

awesome James. Have fun bud! :D Oh yeah im excited about the US release, i have many friends there :D and they r all excited!

Laurne

soulmining said...

Admit it, you're just going for the meat and beer - Severance screening there is pure coincidence.

Maybe you should write some kind of cannibal flick next, taking in your love of meat products?

Dom Carver said...

Ninja fingers

Anonymous said...

yo yo jam-es, is you full time now or do you still have the "other" job on the go could you blog about this because otherwise I will feel i must be completely unsatisfied in my job to write cool ass horror so will get a job at b&q or mcd's or something for experience also do you have a 25 hour day my friend does but then he is on the dole and can sleep however long he likes and scratches himself a lot but seriously we should all try longer days it becomes almost routine who said 24 hours was good anyway goodnight!!!