Tuesday, April 10, 2007

New stuff, and backing up

Behold, the new US poster for Severance:



No, I don't remember the scene with the chainsaw either, but hey, it looks cool. Doesn't scream "horror movie" at me, given that the neck stump is tastefully covered up, but it's not bad. As usual, you may clickyclicky for biggybiggy.

And, the US website is up and running here - it's got all the stuff the UK one has, but with added info, clips, desktop backgrounds and all sorts.

Shiny new Macs have arrived at Spork Towers - it was time to upgrade, as the Powerbook had died a quiet death of old age, and my faithful little iBook was slowly filling up its 30GB hard drive. I now have a new 13 inch MacBook in pristine white, specced up to the max (2GB RAM! Phwoar!!), and Jo has a 15 inch silver MacBook Pro, similarly pimped. With the new machines came the difficult decision of what to call them. The old Powerbook was called Serenity, and my iBook was dubbed Vger, so we decided to stick to a similar spaceship naming scheme. My beautiful, sleek, white friend is now called Discovery, and Jo's silver dream machine is called Stargazer. Bonus points for spotting the excessively nerdy references (mine's easy, given my favourite director, the other one is trickier). I make no apologies for the geekiness of this paragraph, this is who I am, and you should just love me unconditionally.

Following on from that, I must point out something that you really all should know, but that many of you are probably not doing: back up your stuff. Regularly. Cause you never know when things will go bang. We'd just done a backup of both machines, about a week before the Powerbook slipped away in the night, so everything was saved. I can't emphasise enough the importance of backing up. I'm paranoid about this, because 15 years ago (I remember it vividly) I lost 4 pages of work that had taken me ages to finish. It's never happened again. Every time I finish something, I save it, make a copy of it, and email it to my Gmail storage account. And I do regular, full backups of everything on my laptop, to a portable hard drive. It's important for everyone to back up, but especially so for writers, because your life's work can be contained in a single folder that can be *so* easily lost or corrupted. It's not practical or environmentally chummy to print everything out, but your data is so fragile, you can't be too careful. You can get a 250GB portable hard drive for around 50 quid, which is a small price to pay compared to losing all your stuff. A big drive means you can have several backups on it at once, I try to keep three at a time in case I need an old version of a file - although whenever I do a new draft of something, I keep a copy of the old version anyway (told you I was paranoid). You'll also be able to back up all your music and digital photos, so it's well worth it. Most of the regular brands are fine, check reviews before you buy though, and if you can, get a Firewire version, it'll make copying files much, much faster - check that your machine has a Firewire port first, obviously. If in doubt, or you have no idea what any of this means, just take a photo of all the holes in your computer, print it out, show it to someone in a computer shop and ask them (anywhere except PC World though, they'll just tell you to do a virus scan and reinstall the operating system, even if you're trying to buy a keyboard). That was your public information announcement for today. Don't make me tell you again. Oh, and don't talk to strangers, unless they offer you sweets or a lift in their car.

And finally: be sure to check out the final episode of Life On Mars tonight, or I will come round your house and beat a confession out of you. And I'm sure we're all watching the new season of Dr Who, if not, then you can't be in my special gang.

21 comments:

hotzappa11 said...

I need to buy myself a portable harddrive.

My laptop went belly up at the end of last year. Thank god, the people who fixed were able to back up all the stuff i had on it, and that's why i still send all the stuff i've done directly to my hotmail account.

Can't wait for LOM and i'm loving Doctor Who. I've forgotten about Billie to be honest. Martha all the way!

Serenity (now deceased) said...

Psst! Vger - you still alive?

Vger said...

Just about, why?

Serenity (now deceased) said...

we've been replaced. make sure you knock some coffee over that Discovery. And that Stargazer.

bloody ponces.

Vger said...

nice one. let's change the bosses password on gmail too - smug bstard showing off about his back-ups. that'll teach him to go off with a younger model.

Stargazer said...

Losers Weepers honey!

Discovery said...

Yeah, don't be a sore LOSER. couldn't keep up, could ya? No wonder James prefers my quicker, bigger, harder drive...

Lucy said...

I am relieved to hear "backing up" refers to geeky stuff like computers and not your constipated colon, as I first thought when I saw the post title...

Vger said...

Yeah yeah whatever see you on Ebay

Matt said...

Is Stargazer a refernce to Picard's first command in Star Trek Next Gen?

James Moran said...

All right, stop that, we'll have no trouble here. I still have Vger, it's still working perfectly well, and will always be special to me...

Lucy: That's the next post, constipation and the working writer. With diagrams.

Matt: Give that man a biscuit! Yes indeed, it is.

Jason Arnopp said...

I've been paranoid about data loss, ever since no less than two laptops died on me, last year. In one case, I had to pay hundreds of quids to a data retrieval firm - mainly in order to get back pics and vids of me 'n' Slater on holiday in Menorca.

Hey, there's a video of him almost drowning in our pool. How could I let that slip into the electro-ether? Hmmm?

Jodie said...

Chainsaws aside, why is the businessman skinnier in the American poster than in the UK one?

Sarah Dobbs said...

My computer still hasn't quite died. It's been in the process of doing so for months. Luckily, I am fully backed up to the hilt, on portable flash drives as well as the brand new shiny VISTA LAPTOP. Muahahaha. :)

Dan said...

Where did I read about a paranoid scriptwriter putting his latest printed script in the fridge because in the event of fire that appliance will keep everything inside it safe from the flames?

Sarah Dobbs said...

re: fridge pages -- isn't that from a kid's book of some description? I'm thinking Anastasia Krupnik.

soulmining said...

I'm rather disturbed to notice that M&S are now using Itchycoo Park as the soundtrack to their latest TV ads... I can't watch it without expecting some mad European soldier to suddenly leap out of the bushes and start chasing Twiggy and Myleene Klass with a flame-thrower...

James Moran said...

Jodie: I've compared both posters in Photoshop - they've slightly rotated the top of the body, and trimmed off a bit of the arm edge so it all lines up. Well spotted...

Phil: I know! Cheeky swines. One of my mates says he keeps hoping that Myleene will string Twiggy upside down and gut her with a hunting knife...

soulmining said...

Or maybe Myleene and Twiggy could fall down a concealed pit, get naked, then string together their M&S bras to make a rope in a futile attempt to escape... until Bryan Ferry comes along (stoned and swearing like a trooper) to save the day!

hotzappa11 said...

In my opinion, Myleene and Twiggy can do anything they want but just as long as they leave Elizabeth Jagger and Erin O'Connor alone. They're too cute to be ripped to shreds.

ReiToei said...

Congrats on the Macbook Pro purchase, J. I had some initial teething problems when I switched (I fucking hated it), but now you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead, mittened hands.