Friday, May 25, 2007

Time out

When you're busy, I mean REALLY busy like I've been recently, you don't really "do" weekends or Bank Holidays. It's pretty much a 24 hour gig. Wake up, write, eat, write, look at clock, it's 1am. Crash, rinse, repeat. Weekends? Weekends schmeekends. They're a golden opportunity to get 2 days of solid writing done. But it's probably a good idea to take a break now and again, or you'll just fall apart, like I did when the Space Virus hit me the other week. I always seem to get it when I'm this busy, or when I'm handing in a really important draft of something. I'm rambling now, let's skip to a new, clean paragraph.

There we go, much better. Anyway. I've handed in the latest draft of Secret TV Episode. There won't be any notes on that till next week. Also handed in outline for New Precious Thing. Will have a meeting about that on Tuesday. Handed in the outline for the new thriller movie pitch, which I'll call Thriller Movie Pitch for clarity's sake - there are interested parties, and I'm working with them on it. They'll get back to me in week or two, when they're back in the office. I've got a week to finish the horror-comedy movie rewrite, but it's nearly done so it won't take that long. I should start the TV Pilot script that I'm being paid to do, but the contracts haven't been signed yet, so I have a bit of time. I need to meet another production company next week about a new TV series they've chosen me to help develop. Got another meeting coming up about another TV series I might be joining up with. This is apart from the two meetings next week to do with my existing TV episode gigs. And I've been headhunted to do an episode for a new Beeb series, handpicked by the team specifically, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and quite handsome and dashing, bizarrely. But that will need an outline. Soon. I also need to meet the producer and re-draft the outline for another movie we've been working on. (All of this stuff is paid work, by the way, but only one of the payments has come through so far, everything else is either being negotiated, or I need to deliver stuff). And on top of everything else, I need to redraft my comedy spec from last year that nobody's read yet. And write a brand new, exciting spec before September - I've just come up with the basic pitch, and want to have it all shiny and cool by then, because I have a Special Plan that I want to put into action in that month. That's 8 full, proper projects on the go at once, if you don't count the specs.

But you know what? It's Friday night right now. Everything can wait until Monday. I haven't had a weekend off since... I don't remember. Honestly. My whole right arm hurts, my right shoulder and the area of my back under my right shoulder is all achey, and the muscles are all tense and twitchy. I had a lymph cluster lump thing on my neck, from the bad posture and stress, but it's nearly gone now. I called it my Stress Lump, and I'm sure it'll come back, if it doesn't it means I'm not working hard enough. Work it, Stress Lump.

So this weekend, I'm going to stay away from the keyboard, watch some telly, some movies, veg out, and not think for two whole days. I might even go to the cinema. Crazy! I know!

Was going to make bacon sandwiches tonight, as they're the easiest thing to make in the house right now. But I can't even be bothered to do that. I'm drained. So I've ordered a fucking pizza. Yeah. I might not even bother to use my hands, I might just smash my face into it, and eat my way out. See you all on Monday, if I survive my pizza face swim...

14 comments:

potdoll said...

My head just exploded reading about your workload.

Jason Arnopp said...

You lazy, lazy, LAZY bastard.

Oli said...

That sounds awesome. Tiring, but awesome. It must be great to be so in demand. From reading old posts, you were still working two days a week at your day job - I hope you're full time writing now!

Anonymous said...

I wish i had alot of writing work like that but right now i can't seem to find any inpsiration to write anything and i know i should. Perhaps it's the rejection i got from PFD, heh.

But good for you, work it!

rawshark said...

pizza face swim.. mmmm....

Robin Kelly said...

Wow. I mean...wow. I've been shamed into going to Lianne's and choosing some more things from her Dates for your Diary to do.

Don't sweat it, Anon, PFD are the worst agency in the world anyway. ;-) Take time to grieve then prove them wrong. Good luck.

hotzappa11 said...

Heh. Cheers Robin. Anon is actually me *kicks idenity thing*

Amanda said...

You remind me of a film I recently watched: Pursuit of Happyness. With your Will Smith good looks and your dogged campaign to make it to the top of your game whilst living on the streets with your son? It's virtually identical.

Dom Carver said...

Real writers don't take weekends off...you should feel ashamed. No go and write three outlines and two treatments as punishment.

Dom Carver said...

Oh, for that lump thingy in your neck, go and get a massage. My wife is learning holistic massage; it's great. There's nothing like a good rub down to kneed all those lumps out of your back. I think they cost about £30 and you'll feel so much better afterwards.

Simon said...

Just seen the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine. Congratulations on getting to write for the series, you lucky sod.

hotzappa11 said...

Seriously? Cool. Doctor Who magazine doesn't seem to be out in Northampton. It better be soon.

Congrats James.

James Moran said...

All: Don't feel shamed into taking on more work, it's madness, madness I tell you.

Amanda: I so get mistaken for Will Smith all the time, seriously, when he's on telly I think the screen is off and I'm just seeing my reflection.

Dom: Got one booked for next week, a "deep tissue" one, scarily.

Simon and Hotzappa: Cheers! See new post for all the shocking details...

James Moran said...

Oh, and Hotzappa: There are loads more agencies, PFD probably aren't taking people for a while by the sounds of it, some places get full for a bit. Check out some others! Keep all rejections, save them for the day you get accepted, and then you can read them over and laugh at their mistakes. I do that. Writers are mostly bitter and vengeful...