Wednesday, May 23, 2007

TV prep continues

So the space virus hit last Sunday week, and kicked in full strength on the Monday morning - as I was halfway to another big Secret TV Episode meeting. By the time I arrived, I had the shakes, tingles, head bunged up, all that fun stuff, but had to sit and deal with it because there is no time to waste at all. Got the rewrites added in that Thursday. Spent the weekend working on the movie rewrite, and an outline for New Precious Thing.

Yesterday got lots more notes for Secret TV Episode - the whimsy of the script is now smashing face-first into the hard rock of Filming Practicalities. Which was actually fine, most of the big, splashy stuff is intact, but surprisingly small things turn out to be impossible, or too time consuming or dangerous. Very interesting, and educational. When the ep has been shown, I'll do up a list of the things that are easy/hard to do on TV (have to wait till then, or I'll spoil all the plot developments!) Anyway, yesterday's notes need to be done by tomorrow morning - this close to shooting, changes need doing *fast* so that all departments have the latest version. There are some dialogue tweaks too, but nothing major so far, just constant checking to make sure it's as good as it can be. And I've been sent a revised version of a design for one of the crucial technical things in the story, and it looks fucking cool.

The script read through will be next Friday, 1st June, and as far as I know, they start shooting the next day. So I imagine there'll be some last minute changes Friday night, based on how the dialogue plays in the read through - it *always* throws up spanners when you hear it out loud, some lines are great but sound stupid, and vice versa. In fact, on Severance one line turned out to be unintentionally funny out loud, but it never occurred to me all through the drafts because I'd never said it: "Harris, I want you and Jill to go up the hill and see if you can get a phone signal." Looks normal, but out loud, all you hear is "you and Jill to go up the hill". Immediately we all laughed, and realised the problem. But then we thought, no, don't change it, Richard isn't good at public speaking, he'd probably make that sort of mistake. So we made a feature of it, and showed him stumbling over his big speech. Sure, not the crucial moment the entire film relies on, but a nice little character bit, thanks to the read through.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the whirlwind of telly and pre-production and madness. I feel like I haven't stopped at all since January, and I really haven't - particularly over the past few weeks, when I have been writing all day, every day, and into the night sometimes. For a lazy bastard like me, it's exhausting. Anyway, that's the latest. Don't forget, all will be revealed at the end of next week...

7 comments:

Lucy said...

"Don't forget, all will be revealed at the end of next week..."

This is old news. The blog world is still shaking with the revelation that you and I are locked in a liaison more dangerous than Glen Close's fit-to-bursting corset and bosom! Yet how will it turn out? Tune in for more news of mine and James' secret rendez-vous on MY blog...

Glen Close's bosom said...

Actually I think you'll find John Malkovich's crotch had more of a time of it than me on that movie.

hotzappa11 said...

You big bloody tease.

Dom Carver said...

*A whistling noise eminates from Dom's ears.

DOM: Oh God, oh God, I don't think I can hold it for much longer.

*Dom covers his ears and wonders what the fallout area from a brain explosion might be.

Piers said...

I've just chewed my arm off in anticipation.

You bastard.

Piers said...

It's an ill wind.

Having replaced my arm with one made entirely of coal I'm off to fight evil for a bit.

Oli said...

Screenwriters tend to blog about man-flu and space viruses more than regular people... I say there's a conspiracy by film critics to kill us all off using germ warfare, so they can lavish even more praise on the director...