Thursday, June 21, 2007

Half post, with telly bits and bobs

Blimey, this blog seems to be having blackouts. One day it'll have a post filled with wit and anecdotes, then it blips out, waking up the following week with a hangover, blood on its hands, and a dead yuppie hanging upside down next to it, gutted like a fish. Sorry about the sporadic posting, I seem to be writing every single day for various things, so I'll jump in whenever I can, even just for short posts if nothing else. Here's the half post I meant to put here last Sunday:

Off to Cardiff tomorrow, to watch some of the filming for my Torchwood episode. It'll be a rare day where I'm not actually writing anything, because I'll be standing in awe watching lots of clever people create moving images of words that I have typed. Could I have come up with a poncier way of saying that?? Probably, but I'm tired. Going there tonight, so I can be up bright and early for filming.

Speaking of telly: OMG the Utopia episode of DW. Seriously. OMG. If you haven't seen it yet, skip the rest of this paragraph, for there be spoilers, yarr: The moment when The Master appears, purely by changing his body language, was almost too cool to handle. He had been so lovely, silly, and barmy, and then all of a sudden he was utterly chilling. When I watched the show as a kid, I was always scared but excited when The Master turned up - out of all the villains, he was the only one that seriously worried me, that made me think he might actually win. I'd been hoping for his return ever since the new series started, can't wait to see what nefarious scheme he's got planned. The evil swine.

Also on telly was the first ep of superscribe Steven "The Moff" Moffat's Jekyll, which was really, really cool. Modern updates can sometimes go horribly off the rails, but with The Moff in charge, it was effortless. And from a script point of view, very interesting to keep the evil side off screen for nearly half an hour - I wouldn't have thought of that, probably would have opened with him on a rampage. But this way was more effective, seeing the careful preparation, the restraining chair, the dread, the fallout, people's shaken reactions to what they'd seen - really built up the tension for his eventual reveal. Top class. And Mr Nesbitt acts his socks off, too. All hail The Moff.

Will report back about the TW filming - obviously no spoilers or actual information of any kind, or I'll have to travel around the world with a printout of my blog stats, tracking each and every one of you down, and murdering you. Is that what you want?? Cause that's what'll happen. Yes.

15 comments:

Dom Carver said...

That is exactly how I felt about Jekyll but I was too in awe to type the words.

To sum it up in one word....

FAN-FUCKIN'-TASTIC!!!!!!!

Martin said...

Now I'm gonna have to get my hands on a copy of Jekyll. I missed it on TV, hadn't really heard anything about it, so wasn't bothered...

Peter Pan said...

Just you wait til You see The Sound of Drums. Changes of underwear highly advisiable.

Dom Carver said...

Oh I'm ready for that, trust me. All the doors will be locked, the curtains drawn, phones turned off, the wife's mouth taped up, and I'll be sat ready at least two hours early in front of my father-in-law's widescreen HD LCD TV, with added surround sound speakers, just waiting for the moment.

I'm aroused just thinking about it.

Jaded and Cynical said...

Does an episode of Doctor Who really cause incontinence in some men and arousal in others?

There should be a warning about that before the programme starts (especially for people like Dom, who watch the show at their in-law's).

Obviously I'm completely out of step with the consensus, as indeed are my bodily functions, because I don't think Doctor Who is very good at all.

Take tonight's episode. In the second half of the programme the gang could teleport anywhere, instantly. This was crucial to the plot. But in the first half of the programme they spent their time driving round in a Vauxhall Corsa, and being shot at in the process. As is so often the case - and to put it bluntly - fuck all thought seems to have gone into the script.

I know it's a truly great franchise. We love the way it reconnects us to our childhoods. But the programme itself is mediocre and I'm surprised that so few people are willing to admit that.

James Moran said...

Jaded: The problem with using the teleport was that it wasn't terribly accurate, and left them reeling around feeling sick for several minutes, so probably wouldn't have been the best way to sneak around discreetly. It was clearly set up from the very first time they use it.

I'm sure there are people out there who don't like the show, or other shows, so it's not a case of nobody here "willing to admit" it. But I love the show, always have, and have gone on about it repeatedly on my blog since it first came back. Most people commenting here love it too, so it's not really surprising that nobody in this particular corner of the net is going to say bad stuff about it. Because we like it. There's no conspiracy here, we just love the show...

Dom Carver said...

Damn right!

Amanda said...

Well, I neither claim to like it or not like it.

And that's because *mumblemumbly*.

Oh, alright, I've not watched a single 'new' episode. I know, I know - I'll get my coat.

billyevil said...

I'm enjoying the return of the master so very much, and look forward to seeing how the Doctor manages to do anything to put a stop to everything that has been done. I also look forward to Torchwood and now that we have Jekyll I am finally seeing the turn in television towards great shows that has been long coming.

Marie-Ange said...

I loved Utopia! But not as much as I loved The Sound Of Drums.
Dr Who is amazing.
I have no idea why it's not very popular in my country (France). I think most people here are allergic to sci-fi...

I cannot wait to watch the episode of Torchwood you written.

Laligin said...

Heh. Eagerly awaiting updates on the Torchwood process here. That must be such a buzz, to see them acting out your scripts.

Gah, the envy. :D

Glad to hear you're still enjoying Doctor Who at the moment (and getting the time to see it!) - personally I think series three has done incredibly well. Lots of very good episodes one after another... And what more can you ask?

Been watching Jekyll as well - loving the one liners ("Sorry, I've got to go home and change..." springs to mind).

You have admirable TV taste, it seems. Both in what you watch and what you write! ;)

Torchwood's back in... it was January they said, wasn't it? There's going to be an unpleasantly long Who-less period over the next few months, then.

Keep the updates coming whenever you can!

- Lali

Anonymous said...

So of course, your story will include the master... or the daleks.. nahh they wouldnt let you touch the daleks.. no.. your too original, you'll bring in your own monsters.. which will be so liked that they bring them back time after time...

Or you'll fail misserably...

Skye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Reed said...

I am so going to start calling him "The Moff" now.

Weevil Queen said...

The Moff is absolutely awesome!!! I did a review of Jekyll for my uni's student website, it will be up soon, www.durham21.co.uk when it is up. But he is sooooo good!

When I grow up I want to be just like him!!!

As for DW, absolutely awesome. And I write this now after the series completion. The one thing I want to say is THE FACE OF BOE!!!