Friday, August 03, 2007

Get your ass to Mars

I know I'm probably the last person to mention the Red Planet prize, but I just want to chip in. Now, there are plenty of cash prize competitions. This one gets you cash, sure - but the big prize is representation, mentoring, a script commission, along with a workshop with Tony Jordan himself. Fuck the money. It's just a bonus on top of all the other cool stuff. If you're *not* entering, and you're an unproduced spec monkey with no agent, you better have a damn good reason. Do you want to get an agent? Do you want help getting your career moving? Do you want to get paid to write a script? Do you want a one day session with Tony Jordan (worth entering for alone)? Then what are you waiting for? It's free, and you can even enter by email. If that's not good enough for you, what is? You want oral sex thrown in too? I'd have killed my own mother for a chance like this when I was starting out. In fact, I might just kill her anyway, as an example to others. I'm coming for you, Ma. Everybody else - you have less than a month to get your 10 pages in sparkling shape. So snap to it. Get your ass to Mars.

Okay, crazy deadline looming on Monday morning, so I'm in seclusion for the rest of the weekend. Hopefully I can get my work done while I'm here - the dog keeps staring at me, and it's freaking me out. Got a big post about pitching coming next week, and - yay! - the return of the Scary Internet People and their weird search terms. Can't say fairer than that.

10 comments:

Lucy said...

Yeah! You tell 'em you scary-hairy-ass Mofo!

hotzappa11 said...

I'm doing it, I'm doing it! It's a competition between an old sample i'm just finishing off and a new sample i'm in the middle of. Huzzah!

Oli said...

Amen, brother.

Oh, and hotzappa - if it was me, I'd send the old one. I always love everything new I write. If I still love it in a couple of months time, it might be half-decent. So I'm going with old and loved.

Martin said...

If I thought I could have a finished screenplay, good enough to win, by September 1st. I would enter. However, I don't. The screenplays I have, I want to make myself (and am in the process of doing so).

That's my excuse. Im sticking to it.

Good luck to anyone who enters though.

Pillock said...

Does Tony like a bit of the old under-table table tennis?

LizH said...

I've heard Tony Jordan talk about this twice now (once at the Festival and once at the Royal Court) and I don't think the idea is for him to produce the winner - I think what you're sending him is a writing sample so he can choose someone to work on other stuff. So no excuses, Martin!

James Moran said...

As far as I know, that's true - your winning script is still yours, they don't make it. The script commission will be for one of their existing TV shows. You can still make the movie yourself - and with an agent, a TV credit, some cash, mentoring and a one day workshop, you'll be even better equipped to do so. So pick your best one, polish it up, and get the first ten pages in. I don't know the particulars of Martin's situation, but like I say in the post: if you're an unproduced spec monkey with no agent, then this is too good to pass up.

Peter Pan said...

cheers for the tip dude.... wasnt aware of said comp!

Stuart Perry said...

The script has to be your sole property though, just in case Martin has got any contracts signed with creative collaborators (although I don't think that's what he's saying).

Hotzappa11 - the competition rules have been clarified and you can enter more than once, if you're convinced that both sets of material are good enough.

Rob Stickler said...

Weird search terms, eh?

I get a lot of hits thanks to the picture of Kirsten Dunst in my Spidey 3 review.

My all time favourite visiting searcher has to be the misguided soul that found my blog by searching for 'Josh Bauer fanfic [safe=off]'. Pretty disturbing if you saw the most recent series of 24.