Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Getting busier again, and free money

Nearly finished the re-draft of the pilot script, which is going well. Got some brainstorming to do for three things, which is the fun, do-whatever-I-want stage, before I have to nail down any sort of storyline. Started getting pains in my right arm again, along with that tingly feeling, which is not a good sign. I've been neglecting my anti-RSI routine, so I had to try and lay off using my right arm as much as possible (insert wanking joke here). The ache and tingling have now gone, but my wrist is still a bit sore. Time to be careful. I've got a busy month coming up, and I need to be ready. The 21st Century is when it all changes, and- wait, that's Torchwood. For a minute there, I thought I was a sexy, bed-hopping member of a secret organisation dedicated to protecting the human race from alien threats. I get confused like that all the time, it can be troublesome. Because when people find out that you've broken into their house and climbed into their bed to await them, they will *not* listen to any explanation involving aliens, I've found. Or any explanation at all, really. My Other Channel Episode Gig starts in a few weeks, just the outlining stage first, then I'll have to start writing the script at the end of October. I'm hoping to clear the decks before then, so I might have to go off the radar for a couple of weeks to finish everything off (insert another wanking joke here). So there may be sporadic blogging during that time. Or lots of procrastinatey-blogging, depending how I feel.

A couple of years ago I joined the Authors' Licensing & Collecting Society. They search for any royalties, library fees, broadcast fees etc, that are owed to you, then collect it for you. If you're working in "the industry", it's well worth joining up, it's only 25 quid for lifetime membership. I finally got something this week, and it was for Cheap Rate Gravity, the short that started everything off - I have no idea where the money came from, but the reference on the payment sheet mentioned Canal Plus, so maybe they bought the rights to it or something. I don't know. What I *do* know is that after agent and ALCS commissions, I got about a hundred quid for free. Wahey! Free money! Although, seeing as I won the competition in 2002, you could argue that it was technically for 5 years of work, averaging it all out. I choose to argue that it's a hundred quid for free, which I can spend on booze. I will ignore any other arguments, by getting drunk.

And finally, Severance jumped up to 1,655th place on the US Amazon chart. I realise this is small potatoes in the greater scheme of things, but it's exciting for me, so get lost. Go on! Get out of here! Nobody likes you! They hate you! Oh, I can't stay angry at you, come back, I forgive you, everything's okay, you're my best mate. Now give us a cuddle.

8 comments:

Lucy said...

No way am I cuddling you Moran, that's how I got into trouble the last time what with the sauciness and alien baby spawn that's now ripping up my living room.

Oh no, wait: that's a normal baby. Shit, I get confused too. Parentage is unconfirmed however *if* indeed you can get pregnant over the internet. What? It's the 21st Century.

And wait a goddamn cotton picking minute - you get money for free and I buy YOU a drink last week?! You fiend.

Peter Pan said...

You get those reactions when you are in other peoples bedrooms too? Its a bugger. Still, at least i get to fly back out of the window....

Dom Carver said...

You forgot TAX. Should leave you about £75 of free money, which is still enough for a piss up and a kebab on the way home.

Amanda said...

Oh, in a way, a bout of carpel tunnel syndrome would be wonderful! I can just imagine you: sprawled upon a chaise longue, in a pink taffeta dress, small dog tucked upder your arm, rambling, quite possibly drunk but more likely simply insane - dictating to a mousy assistant (me?)and constantly asking 'how many pages now?'

Wonderful, I tell you.

Dozeymagz said...

Wait - did you say FREE money?! Great - I'm going to splash out my £25 right now and just sit back and wait for all that vast amount of dosh to come rolling in! Huzzah!!!!

Does it matter that I haven't actually written or sold anything - not being a writer or filmy/tv sort of person in any way or form?
Sold a painting once - does that count - perchance?
Oh well then, I'll just go have a cup of tea instead...
- Sigh -

Dozeymagz said...

I picked up a DVD in ASDA yesterday - called 'Severance' or something...
Better be good! ;)

Fat Roland said...

I picked up VD in ASDA yesterday, but that's a different story.

Ba dum tscch! Thank you, I'm here all night.

James Moran said...

Dom: I'm including tax, so nyer nyer etc etc.

Magz: Oh blimey, I hope it's good too. I mean, I think it is, but I hope you do too. Or something.

Roland: As long as you didn't get it from Severance, then I'm in the clear...