Friday, October 26, 2007

Up Pompeii

Ooh, it's all kicking off. If you pick up the current issue of Doctor Who Magazine, issue 388 (the one with Sarah Jane on the cover) you will find:

Page 54: A feature on the brilliant Colin Teague, which includes some info on the filming of my episode - he's directing it, and also directed my Torchwood ep. There's a big photo of the location filming in Rome (on the sets of "Rome"! Wooooo!), but you can see the same pic here if you want to see it right now, and get the instant gratification that only the internet gods can provide.

Page 5: A brief article on the location filming of my ep.

Page 4: A sidebar with details of the guest cast, including Peter Capaldi (blimey!) and Phil Davis (double blimey!). Coincidentally enough, Francesca Fowler was in an episode of Rome, *and* I already know her too (she helped us with a workshop for Severance - I had no idea she was in my ep though until she arrived at the readthrough, and we were both all like "ooh, hey, blimey, that's mad, eh?" as you do).

This means that yes, my episode is the Pompeii one that was announced here. I know! Pompeii! Vesuvius! No, missus! And yes, I've been to the readthrough and visited the studio filming - I didn't say anything at the time, because it hadn't been announced which episode I was doing. It probably wouldn't have mattered, but I didn't want to disrupt any sort of announcement schedule that may have been planned, so I kept quiet. And I saw what happened to the last writer who leaked information - honestly, his own mum wouldn't have recognised him. His remains are preserved in a glass case, and kept in the script meeting room at BBC Wales, as a warning to others. Tragically, he still wants to write. It's *so* upsetting to see him trying to reach our keyboards through the glass. But we can't help laughing and pointing.

Obviously, right now, I still can't answer any specific plotty-type questions, so don't be offended if I fob you off in a firm yet hilarious way. I'll post the readthrough and filming reports once the episode has been on, as they'll be *very* dull if I leave out all the details - it's impossible to talk about them without going into specifics, and we all love those juicy specifics. Right now, I'm only confirming stuff that is already announced, for a while, so I'll let you know when other information starts to appear. Besides, I want it to be a surprise when the giant bananas attack. Oh, bugger...

9 comments:

Lucy said...

Yes but what you fail to understand sir is that NONE of that is as exciting as the fact that my son is quoted on page 42 talking about K9, he opens the article no less and gets his views in ahead of Russell T Davies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you must bow your head in shame Moran.

h said...

haa. our year 7 latin books were all about caecilius and metella. 'caecilius est in horto' is about the only bit of latin i remember. i'm not sure i'd be able to watch that ep without getting the giggles about it. in fact, there's even a facebook group for the book.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2222084996

Dan said...

Great stuff! Not being funny, but as a "new writer" on the DW/TW staff, I assumed they'd want to test you with something deliberately low-budget and character-based... the DW equivalent of a bottle show.

But it looks like you've got yourself a big, expensive, lava-filled disaster epic!! They must have faith! Congrats!

Did RTD ask for something on that scale, or did you just write what you wanted and they agreed to it?

I still want to know how the prawns figure into all this, though...

Matt M said...

Must've been a nasty moment when you first heard about that fire on the Rome sets.

I know it's pathetic to get all excited based on one photo, but next year seems an unbearably long time away. Can you not just post the script online, just to keep us going? I'm sure nobody would mind. You could blank out the odd word here or there just to keep the suspense?

No?

Oh well...

Back to watching Dr Who fanvids on YouTube for me then.

James Moran said...

That's brilliant, I can't believe the book has its own Facebook group. Although I can, cause it's fab.

Dan: Cheers! That's what I thought, but no, straight in with the big stuff. They gave me the setting, and some details, so the money can come out of their wages, not mine...

Matt M: Yeah, but luckily nobody was hurt and the ones we were using weren't damaged. As for the story, I could easily give you details... but I would immediately be fed to the Macra. They're real. And they have a taste for human flesh. They make us watch when it's feeding time, just so we know what happens if we talk.

Dan said...

Hmm, interesting. So you were given "it has to take place in Pompeii" and then left to your own devices? I didn't think it worked like that. Or was it a case of "SOMEONE has to write an episode using these HBO/BBC Rome sets... any takers?" and you fancied it? ;)

Dozeymagz said...

Well, I was looking forward to the Pompeii ep, now I just can't wait!!!

Hubs was very impressed when I told him there would be a Romeyish type episode - he'll be well impressed now!

Peter Pan said...

Mr M, you are a tease .... but I like that in a straight man.

Piers said...

The Giant Bananas have defeated the Space Prawns?

Shee-it.

It's like the Sontaran/Rutan war all over again.