Monday, November 26, 2007

Demo for the WGA strike

This Wednesday 28th is an International Day of Solidarity for the WGA writers' strike, a day of support and demonstrations around the world, including London. From the Writers' Guild of Great Britain blog:

"British writers and trade unionists will hold a public demonstration on Wednesday 28 November 2007 in support of the American screenwriters’ strike.

The demo, which is part of an International Day of Solidarity, will take place at 12 noon outside the Trades Union Congress HQ in Great Russell Street, central London (link to StreetMap)."


If you would like to show your support, come along and take part - everyone is welcome. I'll be going, so hopefully I'll see some of you there. If you can't make it, why not put something on your blog - messages of support, photos, links, or even a photo of yourself holding a homemade sign (if you do post something, feel free to link to it in the comments). Send the WGGB link to your local press, tell them what's happening. Or just tell other people about it.

Let's get out there and show that we're all together on this one.

5 comments:

Dom Carver said...

12 noon, are you mad!?!?!?!? I'll still be tucked up in bed at that time, but I suppose I can wave a little banner when the wife brings me a cup of tea.

Lucy said...

Too right J, wish I was going to the london one tmw since NO ONE WILL JOIN ME IN THE SOUTH WEST, much peeved about that. Sadly tho I cannot subject a one year old to a 2 hour train journey to London and then back again as well as much milling about with signs... Else I'd SO be there! Looks like I'm demonstrating virtually tmw. >SIGH<

Amanda said...

Dude, I can send five dolars and buy pencils to throw at Murdoch but actually get out of my bed, get on a tube and stand on the cold (hey, it's not LALA here, y'know?) street...?

Actually, I am more than prepared to do so. I can kill a couple of birds with one stone infact, as a) I can show my suuport and b) I can show you the thingy that I coudn't photygraph (enquiring minds, stop being filthy at this point (although maybe it's only MY filthy mind that sees possible rude interpretation?))

One snag in the plan is that I have Alex home from school ill. Was here all last week, took him back yesterday and then he's kinda relasped. Still... I'll have a clearer idea of possibilities this eve. I'll 'mail ya.

(oooh, coincidence that my word verification is: isczahb? *****hb. HB? PENCILS! I think not. It's a cosmic sign I SHALL be there tomorrow)

Dom Carver said...

How did it go? Were there bricks, looting, flaming cars and exsessive brutality from the police?

English Dave said...

''How did it go? Were there bricks, looting, flaming cars and exsessive brutality from the police?''

There should have been. I kid. A LITTLE.
Because writers are like miners.

Yeah I'll take some stick for that. But IMO it's true.

Does anyone want to argue that no one gave a crap about miners until they stopped working? And then we had the three day week?

Does anyone remember how Arthur Scargill was villified day after day in the press for saying the Government was hell bent on closing the UK Coal industry?


I fell for it.

The only advantage experience has over youth is that I've got the T shirt in a shameful drawer.