Monday, November 05, 2007

Halloween, booze, and meeting George A. Romero

What a strange, fab week it's been. Halloween went well, we watched The Frighteners (great, underrated movie) and Poltergeist (need I say more?), had the pumpkin lit, spooky music, and Jo made some kickass cocktails that looked like blood:


Nice! They were bloody feisty, too. And yes, that whole jug was just for two of us. And yes, that makes us filthy drunkards. Before we got to the main movie of the night, we warmed up with Thriller, just because. It was the full version, which neither of us had seen all the way through for years and years. It's still that good. Hope you all had a good Halloween, and that nobody got killed. Or if they did, that at least it was fun somehow.

Thursday I got my hair cut, and had two TV meetings. One was for my Telly Episode That Isn't DW Or TW, which went very well, and I can now "go to script", which is good news. Hopefully I can announce what this is soon, just waiting for contracts and things to be sorted.

Friday was the day of the FrightFest all-nighter, starting at 9pm with Diary of the Dead. But before that, during the day, I got a call to go and meet Paul, one of the FrightFest organisers, and Scott, an American film critic mate who I met in Austin last year at Meat/Beer Fest 2006. He told me that George A. Romero was in town, for interviews and the FrightFest intro. Did I want to come and meet him??

Er, yes. Very very much yes.

I mean, you know who Romero is. You probably know how I feel about his movies. He is horror movie royalty, for me and a hell of a lot of other people. So of course I wanted to meet him. He's really, really friendly, very good fun, and about nine feet tall:


I chatted with him for a while, told him how much I was dying to see Diary, and generally gushed like the screaming fanboy that I am. I'd brought a copy of Severance to give to him, but was too shy to do it - the others told him he should try and see it, so then I bit the bullet and whipped it out (the DVD, you filthy minded creatures). He was groovy about it, and said he'd check it out. If it even entertains him a teeny, tiny amount, then I'll be deliriously happy. He laughed and liked the sound of the storyline when Scott described it, so that's a good sign. Anyway, even if he never watches it, it'll be sitting on his DVD shelf, and that'd still be enough for me.

Also got to meet the rest of the Zombie Diaries gang, who are cool, and had a great day talking to lots of people. The FrightFest all-nighter was brilliant fun, kicking off with Diary of the Dead, which I loved - a great reinvention of the genre, with plenty of crowd pleasing moments. George gave a great intro and a hilarious Q+A afterwards, and got a hero's welcome. The rest of the night's movies were fun, apart from one which just went on too bloody long and got boring, and we all staggered out like zombies the next morning, bleary eyed, in search of brains breakfast and sleep. Poor Jo had to go straight from breakfast to her singing course, from 10 till 5, while I was able to go home and chill on the sofa. I just can't seem to do all night sessions like I used to, I need my sleep too much...

Yesterday I did a fun phone interview with Doctor Who Magazine, and finished another outline, so all is well. Today I had two meetings, one for TV, one for a possible movie, both went very well, and may result in Things happening. Oh yes. And now I'm just going to take it easy for the evening, because I'm still knackered. So keep the noise down, or I'll stick sporks in your eyes and tell you that nobody loves you.

22 comments:

Jools not James said...

Have you shrunk, or is Mr Romero very tall? Or standing on a box? Or are you standing in a pit?

potdoll said...

I like where you keep your teapot.

James Moran said...

Jools: He's very, very, very, very tall.

Potdoll: If you sort of squint your eyes, the glass bit goes invisible, and the teapot looks like it's floating in the air. Whoooooo, spooky ghost teapot!

Oli said...

We watched The Frighteners, didn't like it one bit. But we also watched Severance, which we liked a lot. So we'll let you off.

Peter Pan said...

George walked past me in Milyon Keynes the other week (Collectormania you understand, its not like he was just nipping in to Lewis' or anything). I am a short arse and he actually blocked all light as he passed, he is THAT tall.

Dan said...

The Frighteners is out on HD-DVD later this month. Did you buy the Director's Cut? Amazing. 4 hours of extra's on that thing, and all stuff it's actually interesting and entertaining to watch. Put aside an afternoon sometime :)

Scott Weinberg said...

Filthy lies. All of them.

hotzappa11 said...

Quick question James. How many pages was the Severance script,that's if you include deleted scenes also? Thanks.

James Moran said...

Oli: Yay for liking Severance! Boo for not liking The Frighteners! Overall though, you have the moral victory.

Dan: Yup, got the mega-ultra-super-duper special version with 12 lifetimes of extras, looking forward to that...

PP: He does tend to block the sun somewhat. By the way, the link to your blog didn't work, so I couldn't see your pumpkin. Point me towards it, sir.

Hotzappa: The one from Feb 2005, just before full production began, is 97 pages. The later production drafts are longer (107 and 114 pages) because there's more shooting and camera stuff in, and more dialogue that later got pulled back (and some deleted from the shot stuff). So the most accurate one, and representative of the script before all the productiony stuff gets added, is 97 pages. During the time I originally wrote it, it varied between 90 and 99 pages, which is as long as a slasher flick really needs to be, I think.

Peter Pan said...

http://queenieboy.blogspot.com/2007/11/bruce.html
Here be the pumpkin .. he is now slowly rotting in the garden, bless him.

Amanda said...

Bah *stabs hotmail* I've been trying to get into my account all morning and it's not working... what have you done to it, eh? I think it's very unfair the way you keep attacking me like this!

By the way, Mr Romero is not *that* tall, it's just that Jimbo is dwarf. More specifically, Grumpy. Although if there was a dwarf called 'Ranty' that'd be a better description.

Anyway, once I get into my 'mail, expect a message Mr. Moran. 'The Book' arrived. Eeep!

James Moran said...

PP: Very nice, looks great - I always go for the standard creepy face thing, it's about as complicated as I can handle. Keep meaning to try something fancier, but it takes so long to scoop their brains out, I end up going with the safe option...

Amanda: Quiet, you! Get yourself a Gmail account, Hotmail is *so* 2 years ago.

Dozeymagz said...

I liked the Frighteners too.
That jug of red stuff looks rather yummy - wouldn't it have better to have one each though?
Did you know, that if you add Green food colouring to white wine, it turns it ... well, green really.
Particularly effective at Halloween!

h said...

i told my sister we should watch poltergeist for our halloween scary movie night. she told me she couldn't. i called her a big chicken pansy. she reminded me she's epileptic and the proliferation of static tv screens (being the thing that has caused all previous seizures) in the movie would probably cause a very different halloween than we'd been planning. i felt like a bad sister.

James Moran said...

Magz: Blimey, we were shitfaced enough with the one jug... It was potent stuff. And like the best cocktails, merely tasted like a refreshing, light drink. We were knocking it back quite casually, which turned out to be a mistake.

H: If you're a bad sister, then I'm a bad blogger, cause I laughed at the story... I actually thought about that halfway through, I'd forgotten how much flickering there is. And we had a strobe light plugged in for Halloween, too. I thought, if you're ever going to find out if you're epileptic or not, tonight's the night. Ah well, you'll have to wait till she's out - then watch it alone, in the dark, late one night... Booga booga booga!

Lucy said...

I'm shocked and affronted James - though not by your suspect medical advice re: epilepsy, but more the fact YOU OWN A TEAPOT. And here I was thinking you were cool when really you're just another old fart. Oh! Hear that? Those are my illusions, shattering. Woe is me.

In other news, your wife's eyebrows are quite marvellously - and evilly - arched. I am very jealous.

Dozeymagz said...

Well Lucy - there's nothing wrong with owning a teapot. I mean, after all, we don't know what he keeps in the aforementioned teapot - I mean who knows what marvelous wonders may be tucked inside it - emergency booze, spare change, dried bananas - the list is endless! So, mock not those who possess the mighty wonder object that is - the TEAPOT!!!!

:)

James Moran said...

Lucy: I *am* cool. So cool, I don't care about things like having teapots or not, which makes me even more cool. And blimey, what's wrong with a nice cup of tea, eh? You tea-ist. How the hell else are you supposed to make enough tea for more than 2 cups?? Put it in a bucket??

Magz: There are all sorts of magical things just out of shot, but this one is for tea... But I'm not ashamed. Tea is tasty. Coffee is also tasty. When they came to take away the tea-drinkers, I didn't speak up, etc etc

Dozeymagz said...

Oh yes - indeed. I must agree with you, for surely tea is one of life's truly special things.
In fact... I too possess - a Teapot!!!
And thanks to you, I am now not ashamed to admit it!!! There - it is said. I will stand alongside the ranks of those who defiantly drink tea from a pot!
All hail the Teapot!!!

I can only ponder upon what mystical, magical items lurk within your kitchen chamber....

Salina said...

I'm 23 and I have a kettle, a coffee machine, a Japanese tea ceremony tea pot and a personal loose tea brewer. I'm a hot drink geek, I think. I'm also pretty sure that this was a trait I had before I was an Ianto Jones fan. O.o. I say cheers to tea, I have a HUGE tea collection and I'm proud. And I'm American, how extra odd does that make me? :p

Lucy said...

Clearly you are all waiting for God because this has become an OLD PEOPLE'S HOME when I wasn't looking. Shame on your wrinkled asses.

Dozeymagz said...

I'm not that old! Honest!
:)
I'm off to have a nice cuppa now - DOH!