Monday, December 03, 2007

Torchwood Series 2 Press Screening

Today was the Torchwood series 2 press screening, which you can read about here (The Stage) and here (thanks to the jolly nice chaps from SFX). The Beeb press release is here, which includes this glossy, saucy photo:

Look at them. Look at the handsome, seductive people. They all want me. They can't help themselves, they're only human. How could they resist? One at a time, then, come on.

It was great fun, they showed episode 1 on the big screen at the fancy schmancy Rex Cinema, in front of cast, producers, writers, and some media bods, including our own Jason "The Arnopp" Arnopp. Can't say anything about the ep that isn't covered in the linked articles, but I will add this: it's bucketloads of fun. Still exciting and tense, yes, but it's really playful and funny, making fun of itself without undercutting the plot. There was much laughter and cheering from everyone, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. At the end was a trailer for the upcoming series, which included several clips from my episode - and one of my lines got a huge laugh, so I'm very happy about that. And the last shot and line in the trailer was also from my one, which gave me a thrill. My episode arrived on DVD last week, and I've watched it twice already. I still can't quite believe I got away with some of the stuff in it, I'm incredibly happy with the result. It's difficult for me to explain quite how excited I am about the show without sounding like either a wanker or a publicity shill, but I genuinely can't wait to see it, and for everyone else to see it. If you already like it, the new series is going to rock your world - everything you love about it is back, bigger and better. But if you're not a fan, check it out anyway, I think you'll be surprised.

And yes, the stopwatch is back. I will say no more.

After the screening, there was much banter, and I did my BBC website interviews - they'll be up on the relevant sites after my TW and DW eps have aired. Met the groovy blokes from SFX, and during the discussion of where TV technology was headed, I made a joke, but then did my usual thing of taking it *teensy* bit too far, and was met with slightly horrified looks. But they they laughed anyway, so they're the dirty ones, not me. Met the lovely Caitlin Moran (no relation, but then if she was I'd probably have met her before now), a journalist and massive Dr Who fan. The whole thing was good fun, got to see pretty much everyone in a relaxed atmosphere. I like things like this, because it makes me feel a bit important and special, and you can't get enough of that as a writer, let me tell you. There were drinks laid on, and biscuits, many of which I ate. I also snagged a couple of postcards, because I'm sad like that. Oh, and check out my badge, underneath one of my stolen postcards:

I'm a writer! Woohoo!

Things wound down a bit, and I went on to a TV meeting, about which more later. I'm hoping to have more TV/film news soon, so watch this space. Well, not this one right here, I mean future blog entries. If you just stay watching this one, nothing will happen. I'll try and get the next one up soon, about the Torchwood wrap party, while we're on the TW subject. It will include photos! Well, two slightly different photos of the same object. But still! An object! From two different angles! How many blogs can say that, eh??

19 comments:

Lina said...

WOOOHOOO!!! that is so exciting. The post cards are hot stuff. I really really love the promo photos for this season. I'm trying not to explode with excitement as the clock ticks down and it's getting so bad I realized today that I was overlooking Christmas in my excitement about Torchwood. But this is what happens when they take a YEAR to come back. *bows* we're not woooorthy!

-Salina

Fnarr Fnarr said...

Can you Photoshop yourself into the photo, instead of your badge, that would be a hoot!

Peter Pan said...

Fully marvellous sir!
I drip with excitement .. oh hang on .. that sounded better in my head. I could just delete it .. but why should I?

Amanda said...

Stop feeling important - this instant, Moran! Writers are nothing, and as such, do not deserve recognition nor payment for any of their work which appears on the very new Teh Internets. Moreover, most shows or films do not even need a script - just watch FOr Your COnsideration for proof!

Whats that? For Your Consideration was rubbish? Yes, you're quite right. I take it all back - big up your bad self! Hurrah for all (good) writers! And long live teh Internets and all the money that can be made that way :D

Incidenty, when did blogger encourage me to 'choose an identity'? I'm not having an identity crisis or anything; I'm happy being 'Amanda'. I'm bad enough when offered a bourbon or a custard cream (I'll usually plump for one of each - and whilst I'm on this subject, do ou prise your biscuits apart or just eat them 'prperly'. In private, I mean. In public we all do it 'properly' but behind closed doors it's so often a different story, eh?). Choosing an identity is so SERIOUS and I definately can't plump for 'one of each' in this case because I think I'd end up diagnosed has having multiple personality disorder.

You know what? I've had too much coffee this morning. As you were.

Amanda said...

GAH! Definitely* Why did I just make one of my most hated spelling boo-boos? I blame it on not having yet settled on an identity.

lilmissrocker said...

I really cannot wait for series two! The promo pics are amazing. Forget Christmas - can't it be mid-January now?

Dom Carver said...

I am wetting my Y-fronts in anticipation, dear sir. Although, I am beginning to feel a little foolish at taking a piss in my underwear draw.

erika said...

I just need to say. . . you are adorable! I've been reading the blog, silently (well, obviously not out loud. . . that would be weird. . . and distracting to coworkers and housemates. . .) for some time now and your giddiness is infectious! Congrats! I'm both super jealous AND super excited for the new season (and especially your episode). PLUS! we will actually get the shows in a timely manner here in the States. . . edited (most likely poorly) but still beggars and choosers. . .

James Moran said...

Thank you all for your lovely excitement and, in Amanda's case, madness. I really can't wait for everyone to see it, it's going to kick ass. Cheers Erika! I'm so glad they're going out soon in the States, that's very good news, and there's always the DVDs later for all the naughty missing bits. There's a particularly rude word in mine that I doubt will survive the editing, doesn't affect the plot or anything, but it gets a laugh...

Amanda said...

I see you dodged the biscuit question. Nice swerve, Jimbo.

Ah, a naughty word to raise a laugh. That's, like, your trademark or something... I'll have a fiver on 'bollocks' please.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for S2 and specially your episode.

It all sounds so good!

Rosby said...

And yes, the stopwatch is back. I will say no more.

GAGHYOUAREKILLINGME.

WANT.

Mars said...

Hi, I hope you don't mind random people commenting on your blog. I've been reading it lurker-like for a while, but the recent WGA strike has made me v. conscious of how important it is to give due appreciation to our brilliant writers. And after all the positive press on TW S2, I felt obliged as a member of fandom to give ye love.

Anyway, it's all getting very exciting. All the new spoilers have turned the TW section of DWF into a right beehive. I hope you guys are pleased with yourselves. Though a lot of us wish that whoever writes the press releases would learn to spell Gareth David-Lloyd's name right. (It's been corrected now on the BBC website, but we're pretty confident we'll see it again.)

Thank you for sharing the news, I do hope we get more juicy tidbits as December lurches towards January *nudgety-nudgety*. Can't wait to see your episode!

That gay good-looking chap off Torchwood said...

I can vouch for the fact that James is brilliant in the sack. How else do you think he got the job FFS?

Lucy said...

What outrageous slander. He got the job by being a brilliant WRITER. The rumour going round script reading circles that James IS actually that gay good looking chap off Torchwood and his photo and general life rantings on this site are fake is completely untrue.

James Moran said...

Amanda: I eat my biscuits properly, usually dunked in coffee. If you split them open, then you have to eat the boring, no-cream half. And that's not how I roll.

Anon and Rosby: Cheers! Don't worry, it'll be on soon. If it's any consolation, it's killing me even more, I want it on right now...

Mars: Comment away, the more the merrier! Writers need all the love and good vibes we can get. I've been keeping an eye on a few forums, so I'm aware of the excitement and good buzz, it's brilliant. And fun seeing who has guessed right, who guessed wrong, and who guessed somewhere intriguingly in the middle... As for the press release, the person who wrote it has been coated with Myfanwy's "barbecue sauce" and given a head start running across the Brecon Beacons. If he survives, then he won't make the same spelling mistake again, I assure you...

Peter Pan said...

He made it as far as the Aber valley ... then got picked off in my garden. I'll put it on YouTube later.....

Dozeymagz said...

I am I the only one who doesn't get the stopwatch thing? Does that make me a lesser human being? Or perhaps I'm just a thick thicky thick thick?
*Throws herself on a handy random couch in a melodramatic fashion*

khushi said...

Wooooooooowwwwww Man!I really really love the promo photos for this season. I'm trying not to explode with excitement as the clock ticks down and it's getting so bad I realized today that I was overlooking Christmas in my excitement about Torchwood Episodes.Thanks man it's soo coolll pictures...