Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gallifrey in brief, space virus, and another interview

Well, here we are again, you and me, alone, nobody to watch us, nobody to judge us, who knows what might happen? I am back, still alive (barely), and on the internet in a very real and legally binding sense. Got hit by a massive dose of the Space Virus when I got back from America early last week, and it completely knocked me flat on my arse. Must have been a mutated version, as it was particularly nasty. A combination of that, and utter exhaustion, mean I've been out of action since then. Didn't realise quite how run down and overworked I was until my body completely shut down for the week, so I've been enjoying a much needed rest. I've been on the go pretty much non stop for several months, which is no good when you're as lazy as I am. Still slowly recovering, but I'm more or less on the mend.

Had an absolutely *fantastic* time at Gallifrey. Such a surreal, hilarious weekend, met loads of lovely people, and generally had my ego thoroughly massaged. Everyone made me incredibly welcome. I was a bit nervous about what to expect, but there was no need - I'm so grateful that they brought me over, it was an eye opener in many ways. Over a thousand people in the same hotel complex, and they all recognise you because you've been up on stage several times. It's like suddenly becoming incredibly famous - everyone wants to say hello, talk to you, shake your hand, take a photo, get your autograph, smile, tell you how much they like your work, and so on. It's really cool. After the first day, I started becoming familiar with that double take that people do, when they realise who you are - so I got in the habit of nodding, smiling, and saying hello. Of course, some of them were simply random hotel guests who just happened to be glancing my way, and not part of the convention, so they must have wondered who the hell I thought I was. But I didn't want to accidentally ignore someone who was trying to say hello to me, so I erred on the side of caution. And unlike becoming famous, after 3 days, you can switch it off. I can imagine it being a bit strange if you had it every single day of your life, you could become totally vain and mad.

Got to meet and talk to the legend that is The Moff, the mighty Rob Shearman, and the exceedingly lovely, funny and scarily talented Paul Cornell, who must have statues and monuments erected in his honour *immediately*. Of course, if he ever Does Us Wrong, then we'll have to face the sad spectacle of his statues all being pulled down again, but that's a risk I'm prepared to take. All the other guests I met were brilliant too, and loads of fun. I even managed to meet up with Bill Cunningham, the Mad Pulp Bastard, for an all too brief chat, he's a very cool bloke. I'll do a full, day by day report after this post, but be patient, as I've been away from the keyboard for a while, am still really tired, and might be a bit slow. Still recovering from this damned Space Virus too, so I'm trying to take it easy. But I'll break them up into day by day posts, so there won't be long to wait between them. In theory.

Heh. I said "erected".

Speaking of erections, some brief Torchwood news: issue 2 of the new TW magazine is out now, and features an interview with me on page 49, all about my episode and so on. It's good fun, and has lots of pictures of pretty actors, so you can just look at those if you don't want to read yet another interview with me. Funnily enough, the title for my interview is "Slash Fiction". I'm not sure if they realise the double meaning there, but I'd like to think they do...

11 comments:

cen-evans said...

Hi Mr. Moran,
Sorry to hear you've been feeling ill. Hope you feel completely better soon.
~Cen

lady-entropy17 said...

I just bought the first issue of Torchwood magazine since I FINALLY found it in a store here in LA. It is pretty crap like you said it would be, but still worth the purchase because of the pretty pictures. Can't wait to read your interview in the next one. Hope you're feeling less diseased

-Jessica

Rob Stickler said...

Isn't it funny, in my jealous and twisted mind I imagine all you Doctor Who writers hanging out together all the time, having barbecues at each others mansions and quaffing port at a Hellfire-style gentlemen's club, but there you are meeting PC and the Moff in LA.

Sorry to hear you've been poorly. Hope you're back to 110% soon. Looking forward to the full run down on Gally.

Paul Cornell said...

My wife got the Post Convention Virus (one day we'll have a disease named after us), but I avoided it. Looked nasty, close up. Pleasure to meet you. I shall try not to Do Fandom Wrong, while watching and judging.

Peter Pan said...

Get better soon matey!

LJC said...

It was nifty peachy-keen to meet you at the show. I am still not yet recovered from The Plague (*cough* *hack* *wheeze*). But I am still so sad I missed your live commentary on "Sleeper". But so glad I got to hug you, because your pithy Ianto dialogue made me happy.

*safe and clean hugs across the internets what have no germs i swear*

Cunningham said...

Aha! It was that lethal booze you drank in honor of my birthday that knocked the virus out...

Booze - it does a body good.

I had a great time chatting with you too - though all too brief. When I get my act together, I'll come over there and we'll hoist a few then.

C.A. Young said...

This is Torchwood. I'd put money on that being intentional.

(Not much money, mind you. The day job pays in lint, and the writing pays nothing at the moment, but I've got about $5 US I'd part with. It'd be like the time I bet a DJ that an instrument in a song was a woodblock instead of a cowbell, but with a much better chance of winning.)

Glad you survived the space virus. Con crud can be pretty spectacular.

Mame Dennis said...

Hey. I just saw that you are going to be at The Rift in April. Looking forward to meeting you.

James Moran said...

Cheers everyone - more or less fully recovered now, so I'm back in action.

LJC: Lovely to meet you too. I think more people should hug writers.

Bill: That'd be great, hope to see you over here at some point soon.

Mame: Aha, you found me out - I am indeed, and have now put up a post with details.

LJC said...

I've been a compulsive writer-hugger since my teens. Just ask Neil Gaiman.

I reckon no-one doesn't like to be told they've made someone else happy through their work. Especially as some fans only ever seem to speak up when they're unhappy, and when they're pleased, you are met with a massive void of silence that makes you think no-one read it/heard it/saw it/liked it and you're made of epic fail.

(erm... or that may just be, you know, what happens to me.)

Anyway, yes. Hugging = of the good. And if I frighten them, well, they know to get out of range next time...

(tho I always ask first, becasue randomly invading stranegrs' personal space is deeply uncool.)