Friday, February 08, 2008

Time out

I'm exhausted, burnt out, falling to pieces. So I'm taking the weekend off. I've been writing solidly, every single day, for the past few months, and I need a break. Was up till 4.30am last night finishing a recent draft, and now my mind is much. So we're going away for the weekend, to relax, stroll around, eat, and get drunk. I will not be doing any work at all. No writing, no internet, no email, no phonecalls, nothing but vegging out.

In other news, police were testing a metal detector thing at my local station yesterday, to fight "knife crime". About 20 coppers and 10 ticket inspectors were there, and they'd actually arrested a couple of dodgy looking geezers. I set the alarm off, but they waved me though. When I asked one copper what was afoot, he explained about the testing thing, and what it was for. But I set the thing off, I said. He smiled, and said "well, we're after a certain *type* of person, and no offence sir, but they're usually in the younger age bracket."

Dissed! By a copper! Too old to be a suspected knife criminal?? I'm only 35! The shame of it. I could be a fucking knife criminal if I wanted. I have a good mind to go back there, and knife a few people up the arse, that'll show em who's a suspect or not...

Okay, I'm going now, clearly need to be away from all this. Don't smear anything on the screen while I'm gone.

13 comments:

faldor said...

well I guess this makes train travel harder for you and all your brethrin with big arse knives in their right arms...

Katy said...

Congrats on making me laugh the hardest i have all week! Knife them up the arses!!! Thanks!

Lina said...

Have a good time on your break. :) Let your brain decompress and all that. More people need to take the initiative to relax now a days. At least that's how it is in the US. Speaking of email, sorry I've been lagging so much; school has been kicking my ass.

Catch ya later, sir. :P

Sarah of the Dead said...

You missed probably the best chance you'll ever have to say "Don't you know who I am?"

jim said...

James, don't take it so hard. If that cop had known you're a writer, he wouldn't have let you come near the station (nor near women, children, or anything of monetary or cultural value). It's a well-known fact that writers are among the most unstable people on the planet. Honestly: have you ever met a writer - a *talented* writer, in any field - who wasn't half past mad? Take pride in the fact that you are a sick shaman, conjuring spells from endless combinations of 26 letters and assorted punctuation, able to move undetected through the masses - like Clark Kent with an ergonomic chair instead of a phone booth. Oh, and that photo of you with a bloody axe? Come on, man - that's much scarier than some kid in a Burberry hat waving a blade around.

Fat Roland said...

Have a good rest. I knew I'd passed into a new age bracket when, on a regular basis, men walking their dogs started saying "morning" as they passed by.

Dozeymagz said...

Enjoy you much deserved and well earned break!
And if I catch you going anywhere near a keyboard or a pen or a pencil, then I shall smite you most heartily - see if I don't!!!

Perhaps they should included different settings on the detector:-
Setting 1: Knive, Setting 2: Sharpened Pencils, Setting 3: Other Objects of Dubious Usage.

Have fun!

Rob Stickler said...

Arse knifing, eh? A euphemism?

Have a good rest over the weekend.

Jason Arnopp said...

You work-shy fop.

Priest said...

just thought i'd drop by and let you know that Severance is number 138 on this websites top movies of 2007. One above Pirates of the Carrbean.

Peter Pan said...

So the alarm went off and they ignored you? Excellent, the plan is coming together.....

Amanda said...

I, too, have been falling to pieces. If you happen to find my left hand I'd rather like it back, being that I'm cack-handed and all.

Will catch up soon - I'm going away Saturday and I'm in packing denial right now. Woe.

In other (good) news, I just heard the writers strike is over. Have you heard any such hearsay or is my source unreliable?

Melissa said...

Mr. Moran, now that your episode has aired on both sides of the pond, I was hoping you can expand on your experiences during the table reading and what you saw filming? The fans live for this behind the scenes stuff.