Monday, April 07, 2008

Bewildered and excited

The Doctor Who press launch went very well, although I was in a bit of a daze all the way through it, and felt slightly disconnected. Usually I can just enjoy myself, but sometimes my brain is unable to realise that this is all real, and I go a bit mad. It's purely because I still can't quite believe that these things are happening to me. I keep expecting someone to come up to me and say "excuse me sir, there's been a terrible misunderstanding, could you please leave?"

Anyway, I had a great time, the episodes went down well, the Q&A was very funny, and during the screening I was sitting 3 seats away from Elisabeth Sladen - Sarah Jane Smith herself. Also spotted Simon Pegg, and the living legend that is Bernard Cribbins. But I didn't say hello to any of them, because I'm a big coward sometimes. For a much better, more detailed account of the evening, check out Sir Jason of Arnopp's blog post. It really did feel like I was in a drug induced haze for the whole thing, I had trouble getting my head around it all. How can it be real? Me, just some bloke with a bit of talent and a lucky break, standing in a room at the launch of the new season of a show I've been watching since I was a kid?? Madness. I thought I'd got used to all this mayhem, but it still bewilders me now and again.

So. Mere days away from my Doctor Who episode, which has a new timeslot of 6.45pm, on Saturday 12th April. There's a trailer for the ep here, or here for those outside the UK, and I'm counting the days. Which is easier now that there aren't so many of them. It's very bizarre seeing the trailer for it on TV, I sort of freeze and panic for a minute, feeling like everyone's looking at me. I'm very excited about it, but obviously nervous too, you never know how things will be received. Last week I went to Cardiff to record the commentary, which will be online after the episode has been on. They said it went well, but I'm convinced I just mumbled and talked nonsense. I felt things going wrong when the first thing I said was: "so, was it hot in Italy?" Scintillating, eh? Thankfully, I managed to talk about other things, once we got going properly. We finished late, because some IDIOT had to do retakes of a few lines after doing two of several things they'd told us to avoid (product placement, slander, swearing, saying someone's name without saying their job title, murdering people while on the microphone, inciting race riots, etc). Okay, I was the idiot, but you've all probably already guessed that.

Need to finish a script draft today or tomorrow (for Law & Order), because I have to do an outline for a Thursday meeting (for my new job on Other Popular Show), and a quick mini-outline for a Friday meeting (for Very Secret New Thing). Also got to do a small website thing in the next day or so, and crack on with the short stories that will be due any week now. I'm halfway through the 2nd part of the Torchwood writing thingy, but that will probably slip till next week, as I'm a bit rushed at the moment. I really, really need some time off soon, or I will fall over. This weekend I've got some friends coming over from Dublin for my DW viewing party, so I'll probably get massively drunk and emotional, and be sick in the garden. Sounds like a plan to me, anyway.

14 comments:

Lins Honeyman said...

Really looking forward to The Fires Of Pompeii. Trailer looks great and it got a great preview in DWM.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we will. Thanks for all you're doing to make Doctor Who and Torchwood amongst the best things on TV.

james henry said...

Ooh ooh, from i09.com

"And indeed, everyone who's seen next week's Pompeii episode says it's miles better than the army-of-babies one, with Donna actually showing more emotional range."

james henry said...

io9 sorry, not i09.

Amanda said...

Aw, man, I've seen you do emotional and now because of a stupid holiday in NY I'm gonna miss 'being sick in the garden'? Gut. Ted. I know The Arnopp is also sad to be away and missing the Viewing Party. So many disapointed people... well, at least two.

Athough it should be pointed out we're not away together.

At least, that's what we're telling everyone. Shhhh! Keep it under your hat.

BaaBaaDoodle said...

Yay, five more days till Volcano Day!

Thanks for the insights, and good luck on the new top secret stuff.
Will you do a Writing for DW entry when the TW stuff is done?

Dan Turner said...

Will be watching Saturday night James.

Really looking forward to it, it sounds fab.

Enjoy the night, and seeing your name appear on the television screen in front of 8million viewers!

Abby said...

James, I'm so excited for you! Hopefully I can get a view of your ep ASAP over here in the States...

xxxx

Oli said...

Also looking forward to volcano day... and now I demand of your blogging skills: once you're done with the Law and Order script, I'd love a post on that, as adapting one teleplay to another has got to be some of the rarest work to get...

James Moran said...

Cheers everyone!

BaaBaaDoodle: Yep, I'll do a similar thing for DW, after it's been on (and when I have time, they take a while to do).

Oli: Will definitely be talking about the L&O process, as it's been really interesting from my end of things. Again, once all is done and dusted, then I can blab.

Martin Fisher said...

Hey James,

Can I come to your party....

In any case, I shall be watching with great interest :)

Lucy said...

Are you actually trying to tell us Mr. Moran that success equals a flurry of neverending work, general worship of your bodily particles (including hanging on to your every interviewed word) and drunkenness and profanity???

Thank Christ you warned me, I'm giving up this screenwriting lark before it is too late!

(P.S I'm not jealous at all or plotting your spectacular downfall... with mangoes)

Peter Pan said...

Bless you!
Sick in the garden? Is that ok if its your own garden then? I thought neighbours got all funny. As in peopel who live near you, not Aussie soaps.

Hope its a great party for a great ep!

Danny Stack said...

Moran Writes a Who!

Legend.

radiantbaby said...

Just wanted to say that I am very, very much looking forward to The Fires of Pompeii episode this weekend. I have been an avid follower of your blog over the last few months and I am a big fan of your Torchwood "Sleeper" episode.

- A big fan in Atlanta, GA