Thursday, June 19, 2008

600 characters or less

Saw Jason's blog post last night about the Waterstone's competition, and was compelled to have a go, just to see if I could manage it - 600 characters? About a hundred words or so? I'm in! So I knocked something together, and used their fancy schmancy uploading and design thingy, so I could shove mine in the gallery. If you go here, click "View the story gallery", then search by Surname, you can find my effort, called Symphony.

Several other bloggers have had a go too, including David Bishop, Danny Stack, and Paul Campbell. So why not try it yourself? It won't take long. Don't do it for the chance of winning, just see if you can do it, enjoy the challenge of the limitations: a coherent story, using only 600 characters, including spaces, punctuation, and so on. It's quite tricky, but a good exercise in brevity. Unlike most of my blog posts. Although this one's quite short.

14 comments:

Tom said...

No hope for us mere mortals then.

Good story btw.

R.A. Porter said...

James, if you've never checked it out, you might want to look at Ficlets, a collaborative site where stories are written in 1024 characters or less. There, brevity is obviously important, but also the ability to elaborate on others' works by writing prequels and sequels.

I myself have only written a few pieces there (they can be found here,) but find it to be a nice diversion when I'm blocked on my real writing.

Carlo Conda said...

Hehe, I did one.

Jason Arnopp said...

Your story's rubbish, sir. A giant fire-breathing tuba with legs, indeed.

James Moran said...

Tom: You are too generous, but I'm sure there are tons of better ones in there. Anyway, if by some crazy, random chance I did win, I would excuse myself, I'm only in it for the challenge.

R.A.: Sounds like a mighty fine idea - it's a great fun exercise for those situations.

Carlo: Hooray!

Arnopp: And your one is like a plasticine badger, coated in human flesh, animated by black magic, sir. Yes. I went "there".

Mark S said...

Hi James...Mr Moran...dude

your short story had me giggling, very nice :)

i'v been catching up on your blog since i saw it listed in the favourites column on 'youfaceisanadvert.com' - yes, shameless plugging of my friends blog, but why the hell not. anywho, when i read that you'd written 'Severance' and 'Fires of Pompeii' i was hooked :D

just thought i'd say thanks, enjoyin what i'm reading/watching!

Mark

Dim said...

Damn thing wouldn't let me write one! Who's been talking, that's what I want to know....Didn't want to win anyway, I have too much to do. Very busy.
*Looks out of window*
Tchah. Cloudy again....

Jason Arnopp said...

Mr Moran, I can't stop reading your Waterstone's story. I've read it 6000 times, while rocking back and forth, crying. And now I've set myself on fire. I hope you're happy. I really do.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!!!
-Rae

Amanda said...

But it's not the length that matters, it's the... oh, who am I trying to kid? :P

I'm about to leave for my sister's for the weekend but may have a gander/go when I get back. They will allow made up words, won't they...?

Le Mc said...

Being brief is so hard. But thanks for the link! :-)

Eleanor said...

Love it. Good story. :)

Amanda said...

Dagnamit! Its over! Oh well, I guess I'll never know about the made up words.

Kudos on your Sleeper-esque tale. You're rather fixated on unwitting attempts at world domination/destruction it seems... :D

Laura Anderson said...

Nice.