Friday, June 27, 2008

SWF and FF

And already I'm falling behind with the Friday link thingy, mainly because I forgot. So unless I can think of a nice link to share, or movie/tv show to recommend, then I have failed utterly at life and you may cast me out of the tribe. Damn, I hate being cast out, it's so... outcasty.

Some small things while I'm here and feeling awkward: I'll be a guest at the Screenwriters' Festival in Cheltenham next week, joining in with the Show Running panel - I'm not a show runner, but I have worked for a few, so I'll be talking about what it's like to work for them (daily beatings, but usually plenty of cake to make up for it). I say "talking about it", but I'll probably be listening to the proper, actual show runners with a mixture of awe and confusion, and answering the odd question that comes my way. I'll be doing a Scriptbites session after that, which is sort of an informal sit down where people can ask me questions about anything. But please keep the questions to writing, or the writing business - I know nothing about fashion or spelunking or nuclear physics, for example. I'm travelling up early on Wednesday morning, and going back Thursday afternoon, so if you're going, I'll see you there. Also, around midnight, me and Arnopp will be wrestling in oil, while drunk, so you might want to get an early night to avoid that.

There's an interview here with Richard Salter, the editor of Short Trips: Transmissions, which contains my first ever published short story. And lots of other stories too, obviously, otherwise it'd be a very thin book. It's due out on July 31st, in all good bookshops, some bad ones, most evil ones, and one or two pan-dimensional ones.

I meant to link to this earlier, but I'm rubbish and slow. Paul Cornell did a superb interview with SFX, about short story writing, which you can find here. It's essential reading for writers, and he says on his blog that it can serve as his answer to the writing revelations thingy, too. Double bargain! Here's a great snippet, which I thoroughly agree with: "You get a feeling for when you need to stop. I tell you what, though, if you're reading this thinking you've got that feeling: you haven't, go back and do another draft. You need many drafts. Many drafts. This process is about rewriting, not writing. It's not about inspiration and dreaming, it's about craft, like working a piece of wood." Top notch. It's crammed full of stuff like this, so go! Go read! Now!

And finally, I just picked up our tickets for this year's FrightFest, which is on from the 21st to the 25th August. If you like horror movies, thrillers, or just movies with a bit of a swagger, then get yourself down there. The full line-up is on the website now, it's pretty gobsmacking. Got myself and Jo full weekend passes as usual, and we're very much looking forward to it. I've been feeling a bit down on horror lately, purely because of the onslaught of shitty remakes (nothing against remakes in general, done properly, but there have been some really fucking pointless ones), and rubbish, generic "horror" flicks designed for an audience that wouldn't watch a proper horror if you tied them up and sliced their eyelids off. But looking at the FrightFest line-up has got me excited about the genre again. So there you go, that's your Friday recommendation right there - get yourself a full pass, or just pick a couple of films and see those. Or I'll come round your house and cut you up.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Ohh, how exciting - we'll meet face to face at last! That's if you actually have a face, I mean, how would I know? I've only seen photos of someone purporting to be you. That could have been anyone, some poor soul you keep shackled in the coal bunker no doubt.