Sunday, September 28, 2008

Books, books, books

Well, you've probably guessed by now, that I didn't manage to do another blog post before I left. You are most observant, sir or madam, and I salute you. I had a fantastic time, it's such a great festival. Now, I am back home, exhausted, jetlagged - and slightly damaged, which you'll have to wait until the next blog post to read about. Don't worry, there will be photos and everything.

Don't forget that this Saturday, 4th October, is the Doctor Who Storybook 2009 signing at London's Forbidden Planet megastore, 1-2pm. Come along and see me, Gareth Roberts, Keith Temple, Clayton Hickman, Gary Russell and Jonathan Morris, and demand that we write our names in your book. I am more or less able to write my own name, and I'm sure the others can do theirs too, so it should all go fairly smoothly.

Big Finish have now officially announced and released the cover for Short Trips: Christmas Around the World, which includes one of my short stories. I don't know if I'm allowed to say the title of the story yet, so I'll keep it under my non-existent hat for now.

It's my third ever published short story, and I'm extremely proud of it. I'm proud of all three stories I've done so far, but I wasn't sure if I could pull this one off, and was very pleased when it all came together. Halfway through writing it, I suspected that I needed to change it from first person to third, so I rewrote the first page - it didn't sound right at all, so I went back to the first person again. Sometimes you have to try these things, and if I hadn't, I'd still be worrying about it now, and thinking "I wonder if I should have changed it". The book is out on December 15th, in all good, bad and indifferent bookshops, both in the real world, the cyber world, and the fantasy world inside my head where I am King of Everything.

Another book on sale RIGHT NOW OMG is The Writer's Tale, by Russell T. Davies and Benjamin Cook. I have no financial or promotional stake in this, so trust me when I say this: it's absolutely enthralling. You get a fascinating insight into the mind of a writer, during a year in the life of a huge TV show. It shows what writing is really like - all the decisions, worries, late night writing sessions, second guessing, angst, mayhem, sitting at a desk and swearing until you can force the words out, then the massive joy of a story suddenly clicking into place at 4am. It's incredibly heartfelt, funny, and honest, and if you have the slightest desire to be a writer or see how the magic happens, then you absolutely must read this - even just so you can say "oh thank Christ, it's not just me who does that". Go and get it and read it, or I'll come round your house and burn your bum off with a flamethrower.

Austin shenanigans soon. Sleep and food now.

6 comments:

BaaBaaDoodle said...

Glad you are back semi-intact. You picked an interesting week to be here. Did you incur your injury when Wall St. fell on you (and everyone else)?

I ordered RTD's book but Amazon UK says it will be delayed. They must have sold out the first printing, no surprise. Now we really need more of YOUR take on the whole writing process.

Welcome back!

cirrocumulus said...

I got a bunch of Barnes and Noble giftcards from my friends for my birthday so I may have to add Russel's new book to my list of stuff I'm going to get on my next B&N spree. I'd imagine it's also available stateside now?

David Lemon said...

Got the RTD for my birthday. It's a corker and seems very honest in showing all the neuroses and self doubts that must come with writing and exec producing such a juggernaut of a show.
I'm also agreeing because I'm rather attached to my bum and have no desire to be greeted by you wearing Aliens grunt gear and wielding a flamethrower...

SHEIKSPEAR said...

Hi ya James!

Glad it's going well.

Open me-me at mine, if you have the time...

http://sheikspear.blogspot.com/2008/09/101-blog-101.html

Cheers, Sheiky

Dim said...

Got the Writer's Tale this morning (Blimey, what a tome! Wasn't expecting a coffee-table book...I mean, one the size of a coffee table...)
Couldn't help noticing in the introduction the special thanks to a certain handsome, talented...Oh how embarrassing, it's YOU! for allowing the authors to talk through the re-writing process. If I read what you've said in the book, will it save you having to do your re-writing blog post?

James Moran said...

Dim: It's bloody huge, isn't it? I don't really talk about the re-writing in the book, apart from an email saying how happy I was with it, but he goes into some detail about the Pompeii process. I should still do a re-writing post, but blimey, I'm already behind on several other posts...